Strange phenom

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Butcher

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2011
N. central Ia.
Last night after work and the second load of wood in black sabbath(thats the name I gave this new 500 Oslo)there was absolutly no air moving outside which is kinda unusuall around here but the stove was all settled in at around 550° and the stack temp was good. I went out to my shop to do some work on sumpthin. Bout a half hour later my beer can got emty so I goes back into the basement to rectifiy the situation and low and behold, I got me a far in that stove that i coulda forged horseshoes in. Turned the air intake wide open for about 30 seconds and then shut it back down to about 10% where it had been and all was well with the world. Kinda struck me as odd behaivior. Dont know.
Not near as exciting as the time a few years back that some buds stopped by to visit. We had quite a party on that cold winters day. 1 of them musta dropped an emty Bic lighter on the floor. The next day we were cleanin up the aftermath and musta swept that lighter right under the ole stove. Well, I lights up the stove later and after it gets good and hot all of a sudden we hear this loud BANG! I thought I had some really explosive farwood I'll tell ya what. Finally figured it out after we found chunks of blue plastic and chrome over by the stove.

I have no idea why your stove ran away on you but I wish I had some of that there farwood! ;-P

Blue Vomit said:
I have no idea why your stove ran away on you but I wish I had some of that there farwood! ;-P

gunna make a far with that farwood?

Any chance the ash pan door wasn't closed entirely? I believe if it is left open on the oslo that you will get air into the firebox? If I am correct, that could have been your issue that day?

pen

I love reading butchers posts. I find it very easy to understand his accent when he writes stuff like that.

pen said:
Any chance the ash pan door wasn't closed entirely? I believe if it is left open on the oslo that you will get air into the firebox? If I am correct, that could have been your issue that day?

pen
Nope, no doors open, first thing i checked. I'm thinkin i had a big ole hard and dry one in the middle of the far box that just decided to take off on me or sumthin. Or, it could be just some more of some of that stuff we all get to keep my nerves on edge.

Blue Vomit said:
I love reading butchers posts. I find it very easy to understand his accent when he writes stuff like that.
+1 to lovin. butcher's posts. I can read them wit his axe cent and all rite by the far.

Sounds like the stove cooled off really fast which leads me to believe it wasn't all that terrible. Do you have a temperature gauge on that there stove? If so, how far up did it shoot?

Blue Vomit said:
My former fire chief and mentor had the nickname "Farboss" 'cause that is the way he said fire.....far. He even had a license plate on his personal vehicle that said "FARBOSS" He was the best! Sorry, that just brought back found memories.

Farout

Status
Not open for further replies.