Stratification - storage tank

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

z28clone

Feb 15, 2015
Ohio
Going to build a non pressurized storage tank this summer. Plan to use the tank for a Water to air HX for propane furnace and an outside tube exchanger to heat a 13,200 gal pool. Been researching many websites. Since the goal is to get the water to stratify, I am trying to understand the logic of two HX coils inside the tank. A coil for heating the storage and coil for heating the pool or the furnace HX. For project simplicity, I'd like to have all pipes enter the tank from the top. The HX coil to heat the pool and the house should be located only in the top half of the tank correct? Should the water in the tank be heated from a coil from the bottom up or from the top down? I would think that heating the water from the top down, you continue to heat the top water and as the water cools while it goes towards the bottom of the tank there is not much heat left in the coil as it reaches the bottom of the tank. If you heated from the bottom up, you are actually mixing the water and the tank will not develop a thermocline. Are my theories correct?

Last edited:
Heat the tank with the bottom exchanger, since heat rises, you will pull heat off the top with the second HX, then feed manifold or whatever, that's how I am building one, and I think that's how most approach it....

Status
Not open for further replies.