Stringy wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohiojoe13

Feeling the Heat
Dec 22, 2014
alliance ohio
Split some of this wood today. it was heavy and really Stringy. My splitter had a had time with it but got it done.

Attachments

• 20161113_162721.jpg
    20161113_162721.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 2,287
Reactions: jwalter04
Welcome to the wonderful world of American Elm
The main reason I bought a splitter . Burns good
dry's fairly fast . My fence lines are full of standing dead
Thanks to Dutch Elm Disease

I agree it's elm, good wood you just have to work a little harder for it.

Yep elm. Burns ok in a year or two. Little less than ash, but splitting it I hate. Now if you luck into some red/slippery elm, that's good stuff and nice to look at.

I've never had too much of a problem splitting elm. . . it can be stringy when fresh cut, but honestly it has never been too much of a hassle for me. When a standing dead elm (with the bark falling off) is split, it's a whole different critter as it splits quite nicely typically.

Honestly, I like elm . . . burning a bunch of standing dead elm in my first year of burning is what allowed me to have a reasonably good year of burning mostly (or close to it) seasoned wood -- it made a world of difference in Year One of burning.

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
I've had some hickory that was stringy, but that's elm. There's not much of it around in this area anymore

i just took down a big box elder and 7 elms....
i have been splitting elm, locust, and russian olive for the last few months, so the stringyness seems normal to me. when i put in the first piece of boxelder and it popped open, i was so surprised. I guess I am just so used to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.