Stuck damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rem30-06

Nov 4, 2015
Wisconsin
I have a northstar cs550 corn stove that was here when we bought the house this fall. I am not able to close the damper past notch 4 and was wondering whats the best way to go about fixing that?

Your handle reminds me of a Johnny Cash song, 4 slugs from a 44, no less, no more. Probably would be the cure for that stove copy of the Countryside too. Take a look at the damper slide where it goes into the exhaust and see if it has a stop or take the slide out and see if the corners of the slide need to be trimmed. I am just taking a blind shot at the repair but I recall it was a very close ugly copy of the Countryside. Hey, its deer hunting around here and staying in is probably a safe thing to do today. Dogs are hiding under the deck.

Hey Rem,

I just bought a used CS550 and am having the same issue. The only thing I can think of is that it is notched wonky and when the damper is slid in as far as it goes, it is effectively closed, regardless of what the notches say. Looking at the housing inside the unit, it doesn't look like it can go any farther. Not sure why they built it that way, but it think that's the case.

Probably a topic for another thread, but have you had problems with your agitator (not sure if that's the correct name) jamming up and not stirring the pot? It seems like it can't keep up with the amount of corn being pumped in (even on the lowest setting) and eventually locks up, causing the fire to be smothered. I love this stove - does everything I want/need it to - but it's let me down multiple nights in a row with the agitator issue. Of course, the manual doesn't cover that in the troubleshooting tips either! :)

Stay warm!

You probably need a bit more air to burn the corn better or the corn may be to high of moisture to burn correctly. One can add some pellets to help with the clinker issue too. Good luck

Your handle reminds me of a Johnny Cash song, 4 slugs from a 44, no less, no more. Probably would be the cure for that stove copy of the Countryside too. Take a look at the damper slide where it goes into the exhaust and see if it has a stop or take the slide out and see if the corners of the slide need to be trimmed. I am just taking a blind shot at the repair but I recall it was a very close ugly copy of the Countryside. Hey, its deer hunting around here and staying in is probably a safe thing to do today. Dogs are hiding under the deck.
I have nothing against trash collectors. But when your trash collector who talks like he has a mouth full of marbles, Has missing front teeth from brawls when he was young and has a reputation for drinking way to much even to this day, shows up on a 30 deg day in shorts and Tshirt says, "won't be here the next coopple weeks , so in so is fillin in", then his eyes light all up like a crazy man and he say's " A'm goin hontin". You gotta just walk away saying GREAT, and a short prayer that he returns with all his buddies. And just know and Fully Understand !! That I won't be anywhere near the woods, knee surgery or no knee surgery !!

He is a fantastic trash collector though, here at 6:30 am week after week,hot humid summer weather, dead of winter, what ever the condition, a hard working man. He really is.

City employee got gut shot by a buddy party hunting during the deer season. Survived but with major issues of course when being hit with 12 gauge slug:(

City employee got gut shot by a buddy party hunting during the deer season. Survived but with major issues of course when being hit with 12 gauge slug:(
Ya I used to bird hunt, that was my big extent to it all. I enjoy the woods more than the hunting and decided, well why carry a gun then ? But deer season here, it's just a zoo, I was never up for that one.. Well maybe bow season. And anyway the key words above are "used to". If I ever had to survive in the woods I could and would hunt then. .

Status
Not open for further replies.