Stumped

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerfreak

Hearth Supporter
Jan 18, 2007
Hi guys. Another newbie here. I've got alot of usefull info from searching this site. There is a couple of issues confusing me. I'm planning to build a raised platform for the Leyden Lopi I"ll be purchasing. Would the carpet have to be pulled up from under the platform or could it be left. The platform will constist of 2 x 6s, plywood, couple sheets of durock and tile. I will be also adding durock to the back wall and side wall with 1in. spacers leaving the top and bottom open. At what height should the cement board be installed, 1 inch from the floor behind the platform or 1in above the platform. Platform will be 5ft. x 5ft. so I'll have no problem with clearances.
Thanks.

firebug said:
Hi guys. Another newbie here. I've got alot of usefull info from searching this site. There is a couple of issues confusing me. I'm planning to build a raised platform for the Leyden Lopi I"ll be purchasing. Would the carpet have to be pulled up from under the platform or could it be left. The platform will constist of 2 x 6s, plywood, couple sheets of durock and tile. I will be also adding durock to the back wall and side wall with 1in. spacers leaving the top and bottom open. At what height should the cement board be installed, 1 inch from the floor behind the platform or 1in above the platform. Platform will be 5ft. x 5ft. so I'll have no problem with clearances.
Thanks.

Paranoid people (like me %-P )would probably pull the carpet, but in practice you could probably get away with leaving it, especially if you went a bit over spec on the Durock part of the platform. I would also consider trying to make a slightly raised lip on the edge of the platform to try and keep any embers that escape from the stove from rolling off the platform onto the rug.

In terms of the wall shield, depends on if you are running the platform up to the wall (you probably should) or not. If the platform goes to the wall, it in effect becomes the new "floor" and you should start the wall protector 1" above it. If you have a gap between the platform and the floor, then start 1" from the floor. At least that's the way that I read the manuals on the subject - anything else doesn't make sense to me.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.