Stupid movie guilty pleasures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
One of the funniest we have seen is Death at a Funeral, the original English version. It brought tears to our eyes with non-stop craziness evolving every minute.

Reactions: NHWS and Ashful
Shaun of the Dead is another hilarious English romp.

Reactions: NHWS and Ashful
Added to my watch list. ;)

Ernest Goes to Camp.

Reactions: Ashful
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 7.29.10 PM.png

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

View attachment 317877
Was watching that one today with my daughter. Classic! We watch it every year, with fewer "deleted scenes" by dad, we're pretty much down to just fast-forwarding past the car rental desk scene at their current ages.

It always bugs me that they chopped out a key part of the story, which left the movie not really making sense. Neal's wife thought he was having an affair, and knowing this is key to making sense of the phone calls, and all the drama of the scene when they arrived home. I think that's why John Candy's character got a sexually-ambiguous name ("Del"), as part of the plot was to have Neal's wife wondering if he was hopping around the country with a woman.

Zerophilia, about a rare condition of changing gender during arousal. It is set in the PNW, where trees abound.
Sam, about a chauvinistic guy who wakes up as a woman.
Death Race 2000

I just watched a limited series that I really enjoyed, but I’m sure history won’t treat kindly: “All the light you can’t see”, on Netflix.

Another is Jamestown on PBS, which started strong. But it got so stupid in season 3, that I don’t know how the director even managed to look at himself in the mirror, each day. Talk about totally ruining a great franchise…

I just watched a limited series that I really enjoyed, but I’m sure history won’t treat kindly: “All the light you can’t see”, on Netflix.
Good tip, looks like it's based on the Anthony Doerr book. He's a good writer. I read Cloud Cuckoo Land last year.
Another is Jamestown on PBS, which started strong. But it got so stupid in season 3, that I don’t know how the director even managed to look at himself in the mirror, each day. Talk about totally ruining a great franchise…
Agreed. It ended up a disappointment after a good start. Too bad.

We recently watch a Netflix movie that sounded interesting and had a great cast of actors but turned out really bad, in spite of all the promo hype. My suggestion for Leave the World Behind is to leave the movie behind instead. It's poorly directed and loses all credibility about halfway through. Though it maybe fodder for preppers and conspiracy theorists, this one is a dud.

Agreed. It ended up a disappointment after a good start. Too bad.
I never pay enough attention to credits, but I would have to assume there were some major changes in writing staff between seasons 2 and 3? Or were they following some book series for the first two seasons, and then had to start making up their own plots for season 3?

I guess it'd be fair to say there was still plenty to enjoy in season 3, especially my favorite character (James R.) finally getting some more plot attention. But I could've done without the entire episode dedicated to chasing a mystical horse, and all of the governor's silly dream sequences. ;lol

I guess it wasn't that season 3 was terrible on it's own, but that it was just so much "less great" than the prior two.

FYI
Last night we saw Blazing Saddles is back on Netflix. 🍻

Back to the Beach is my wife's favorite.

Napoleon Dynamite.

Honolulu (1939, with Eleanor Powell, Robert Young, George Burns, and Gracie Allen). Somewhat slow start, but turns into a screwball comedy.

Was it accompanied with a snowflake warning? 😂
We haven't watched it this time around yet so I'll have to let you know. There is that possibility for sure. That movie has so much to make the weak cry. Humor has been lost it seems.

Reactions: yooperdave