stupid question about single walled black pipe.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoon

Hearth Supporter
Oct 2, 2009
Southwest Missouri
I bought some single walled black stove pipe from lowes. What is the trick to get the sides in the groves to make the pipe shape. I have been working it with no success. Thanks.

I put it on the floor opening side up and put my knee on it and start the snap lock connection in the middle and then work to the ends. I hate that stuff and don't use it any more. The welded seam 22 gauge is more expensive but lasts longer.

I used the snap lock for many years but the whole time, and it never happened, I always would look at the stuff during a hot burn and imagine it popping open. Well, I did until I started drilling the stuff and putting screws in the seams.

I have to say I have never heard of it happening, I just thought about it a lot.

BrotherBart said:
The welded seam 22 gauge is more expensive but lasts longer.

The snap black in this house is vintage 1984 & still going strong ..... :coolsmile:

How do you cut or otherwise get the welded seam to length ?

carinya said:
BrotherBart said:
The welded seam 22 gauge is more expensive but lasts longer.

The snap black in this house is vintage 1984 & still going strong ..... :coolsmile:

How do you cut or otherwise get the welded seam to length ?

Aviation snips. Just like the snap lock. Drill a hole to start from. Cut. If that isn't convenient the slip joint pipe sections sure are. ;-P

I gave up on them. They look like crap. Worse than that it is a pita to work with. I hope the farm and home has the welded ones.

The first year I burnt I used the Lowes stuff. After that first year I got rid of it and bought singlewall from a stove shop. You pay a little more but it goes together so much nicer... And in a round shape. I put some pipe together tonight for the new stove and I had the 3 two foot long sections together in about a minute each.

Matt

I bought that same stuff from Lowes shen I put in my stove. Never again! If I ever replace this stove pipe, I'll be installing the good double walled stuff. The cheap stuff is just WAY too difficult to work with!

-SF

When you do get it together, the easiest way I've found to cut it is an angle grinder with cutting blade. I take a piece of painters tape and wrap it around to provide a cutting line. I cut along the edge of the tape and the joint comes out nice and clean. Sawzall was the worst way to cut it followed by the snips and hacksaw for me.

Matt

I put some of that stuff together about 3 years ago. I really don't remember any problems. I think put it down on the floor and used my knee to push it together.
Once together, I ran a few screws into the vertical seams because I was paranoid about it popping open.

Status
Not open for further replies.