Stupid question - installing pipe damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karri0n

Nov 18, 2008
Eastern CT
So, I purchased a pipe damper and plan on installing it tonight or tomorrow, but I've encountered an issue. How, exactly, am I to accomplish this? My original assumption was a quite simple installation; remove pin from damper, drill holes, put damper in place, put pin through hole 1, through damper, and out hole on the other side.

However, the pin doesn't seem to be removable from the damper. I've been unsuccessful in finding any type of installation instructions for a pipe damper. Am I just not pulling the pin hard enough to get it off the cast damper, or do I need to actually notch the pipe in one side rather than making a hole?

Hold the damper plate still & twist the handle so the pin rotates..
The spring with push the pin out...
You hafta clear the bent "kink" in the pin from the cast "kink" in the plate...
Installing the pin is just the opposite...
Twist & push...
HTH

If it's a stock/standard/off the shelf damper, the pin should be separable from the damper plate by holding the plate and twisting the damper pin (spindle) and 'negotiating' the two apart.

You'll need to be able to reverse the process when installing... which simply means your arms must be long enough to reach into the pipe and grasp the plate while feeding the spindle.

Yes... you need to drill two holes opposite one another. A strip of paper, light cardboard or inflexible tape will help find/mark the opposite point.

Peter B.

-----

Thanks. I feel foolish.

Status
Not open for further replies.