Suffering Withdrawal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lowroadacres

Minister of Fire
Aug 18, 2009
MB
We have been burning close to 24-7 since late fall and now with being away to our son's hockey tournament I am missing the stove and its warmth.

My wood heating addiction has gotten so bad that I intentionally turned down the furnace thermostat to 15 degrees celsius to avoid any more power usage via our electric furnace than necessary.

How bad is it when one can hardly wait to get home from a weekend away to load up the stove?

i know the feeeling. i will have everything on hand to restart the moment i walk back in. if possible i stay home to keep the place warm. its what i love to do.

Well, at least when I come home I manage to give my wife a peck on the cheek and say hello to the kids before immediately going downstairs to see how the stove is running. And anytime I am away, first order of business when I get home is to fire her up (the stove I mean) :)

Remkel, I'm sensing that you are an unbalanced individual with a warped priority structure; I admire you for that.

lowroadacres said:
How bad is it when one can hardly wait to get home from a weekend away to load up the stove?

We went out for a meal a couple of days ago, and found ourselves sitting in quite a nice restaurant with my best mate and his wife.

Great food, great wine, great company, but I was still happy to get home and load up the stove :)

I just started burning this week (new install) and the temps got so mild that I had to let her die out this morning. I'm looking forward to the next cold snap, hopefully with a strong wind so I can run her harder. Morning and evening fires for now, maybe scoop some ash out and clean the glass while I wait for the house to get cold enough to fire her back up.

I've got five day ski trip coming up in the next couple of weeks, and I think I might miss the stove more than the girlfriend. Good thing she doesn't read this forum :coolsmile:

We got home last night after the team bus ride home Fargo.... I can only imagine how hard it must be to heat with wood in some places in North Dakota as it seems like miles between trees at times.

We got home and within half an hour we had things up to temp at the stove.

Next order of business is to attack the huge amount of snow that we have been getting. This spring's wood gathering will look at bit different than the last couple of years because we are going to be dealing with some flooding this year in the areas where I normally cut.

The other thing that happened on the trip, or rather didn't happen, was I never did get to Harbor Freight or to the Home and Hearth Store in Fargo. Oh well, next time. Besides, a warm home, clean stove glass and a clear chimney are as good a measure as a 10 dollar moisture meter of the quality of the firewood stack.

Status
Not open for further replies.