Suggestion for Newbies like me please ....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boozie

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Dec 11, 2010
SW IN
When you are talking about your stove and all the controls ..... "primary", "secondary", etc. would/could you please state if the stove is a catalytic or not? With my catalytic it has a "bypass damper .... which operates the catalytic converter" at the upper part of the stove and 2 "primary" air controls on the bottom. As far as I know, I don't have a "secondary" ...... do I? I really enjoy reading the forums. There is a lot of good info there, but I DO get confused. I'm still learning ...... and I'm OLD. :(

Thank you.

Boozie said:
When you are talking about your stove and all the controls ..... "primary", "secondary", etc. would/could you please state if the stove is a catalytic or not? With my catalytic it has a "bypass damper .... which operates the catalytic converter" at the upper part of the stove and 2 "primary" air controls on the bottom. As far as I know, I don't have a "secondary" ...... do I? I really enjoy reading the forums. There is a lot of good info there, but I DO get confused. I'm still learning ...... and I'm OLD. :(

Thank you.

Hi Babs, and welcome.

I'd like to learn how you got your nickname. Were you a clumsy baby? ;)

I see interest has died down now that no-one thinks you're 18. :lol:

Your confusion is understandable, and I applaud you for being willing to feel it--that's what keeps us young.

I suggest you keep following the threads that interest you, and read the "Main Informational Articles" on this forum, and then look at the Wiki and see if anything catches your eye. It is confusing, and there is a lot to learn, but if you immerse yourself it will eventually start to soak in. :)

HTH, and good luck!

Barb- When you sit on a couch and do nothing but crossword puzzles all day, THEN you might be "Old"-(sorry BB). :lol: You're asking questions, and that's never a bad thing. I don't have any experience with a Buck insert, so the 2 "primary"air controls has me puzzeled. I do have a CAT stove, so here you go-.. Your "Bypass" lever is used on re-loads,(or start-ups), to bypass the Cat. and allow the initial gasses to exit the flue (and pre-heat it), thus minimizing the residual moisture in the wood from adversly affecting your Cat. combustor. When your temps. are in the proper range, you'll close that lever and close the by-pass, so all the gass and smoke has to pass through the Cat. combuster. You are now done with that lever. The "Primary" air control is just that- an air control for the stove. open it up in the beginning of the burn(cold stove), and close it down as the fire progresses. The references to "secondary" air are really for non-cat stoves, it's a different technology for burning the wood gasses. Cat stoves DO get a secondary burn, in the form of lazy blue/purple flame at the top of the box/ door. It's wonderful to see, but not the fire corona that non-cat stoves will enjoy. I don't know what your other air control is for, others will chime in and tell you. Stay warm. JB

Beetle-Kill said:
Barb- When you sit on a couch and do nothing but crossword puzzles all day, THEN you might be "Old"-(sorry BB). :lol:

OK, to dispel any further references to my age, :) I've posted a pic on my profile.

Beetle-Kill said:
I don't know what your other air control is for, others will chime in and tell you. Stay warm. JB

I was told that the "primary" air control on the left-hand side (at the bottom) was an air-wash to help keep the window clean. One guy said I could keep it open, another says to use it the same as the "primary" air control on the right-hand side ..... push it in when you have the fire going.

I'd like to learn how you got your nickname. Were you a clumsy baby? ;)[/quote]

No. Now you are assuming it has something to do with being "tipsy", and it doesn't. It was just an endearing little name that he gave me.

RenovationGeorge said:
I see interest has died down now that no-one thinks you're 18. :lol:

So as to dispel all "old" references, I've posted a pic on my profile. Still not 18, but hanging in there. :)

well, dang it, I can't get that other picture removed.

Babs- If your new avatar includes you and the big phone @ universal studios, I may die.(hubba, hubba)LOL-...As far as your air-wash control, all I can say is to adjust it based on the amount of crap you get on the glass. My stove's air-wash is also it's primary air source, so I don't know about adjusting yours. May just have to tinker with it, unless someone else chimes in. Keep us posted, JB

Boozie said:

Thank you.

So am I Boozie. So am I...

raybonz said:
Welcome to the forum Barb! Here is a link for your stove, this page has a link to download the stove manual.. Start there and any questions ask here..

http://www.buckstove.com/wood/model91.html

Ray

Thank you Ray, but I already have that "manual". It mainly consists of several pages of "Installation Instructions". The instructions for operation are few and confusing.

If I recall correctly there is an illustrated picture of the stove in the beginning of the manual that shows the name and locations of the controls. They should be calling the cat control the bypass damper.

There should be a primary air control and then an item unique to Bucks called the shotgun air control or something like that. Most of us do not have the shotgun air. Is this like the Quadrafire ACC air control that shoots in extra air for startup?

Boozie, your name's fine. Here in Alabama there's a guy by the name of Young Boozer...he's our newly elected state treasurer. ;)

http://www.youngboozerfortreasurer.com/

Ed

youngboozer-logo.jpg

BeGreen said:
There should be a primary air control and then an item unique to Bucks called the shotgun air control or something like that. Most of us do not have the shotgun air. Is this like the Quadrafire ACC air control that shoots in extra air for startup?

It was explained to be as an "airwash" to help keep the window clean. That I could leave that lever out all the time. I must be doing something wrong though, because my window gets very dirty .... 'course, it could be the wood.

Intheswamp said:
Boozie, your name's fine. Here in Alabama there's a guy by the name of Young Boozer...he's our newly elected state treasurer. ;)

OMGosh, that's his "real" name. I can't believe he passed the name on to his son.

Boozie said:
BeGreen said:

It was explained to be as an "airwash" to help keep the window clean. That I could leave that lever out all the time. I must be doing something wrong though, because my window gets very dirty .... 'course, it could be the wood.

What's the wood situation, Barb?

Hello Eileen and Dixie. The "wood situation" ..... I'm not sure that all of this wood was as seasoned as it should have been.

Boozie said:
Hello Eileen and Dixie. The "wood situation" ..... I'm not sure that all of this wood was as seasoned as it should have been.

And there lies the biggest problem of all.

Status
Not open for further replies.