suggestion on new chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tumm21

Jul 16, 2011
North Jersey
I am looking for a chainsaw that I will use probably for about 5 times a year for cutting firewood when I find it and the pieces are too long. Some of the wood will be 36 to 48 inches in diameter. What do you guys think. I was leaning towards a Stihl or a Huskivarna.

How much of your total will be the 36 to 48 inch big stuff?

If wanting new,either Husky 395XP, Stihl 660 Magnum or Dolmar 9010 (those are hard to find I hear though).

Used - Husky 288XP,394XP,2100/2101XP or Stihl 066,084

For the occasional big stuff, you can throw a 28" bar on a 440/460 or a 372. I ran one on my 64cc Dolmar and got the job done.

Or do like Thistle says, if you can spend the big bucks.

I see 660s and 066s on craigslist fairly regularly, usually in the $6-700 range.

Man......... imho Stihl or Husky wouldn't matter much here, both are good saws. The above listed saws are all capable of doing what you want, but you're looking @ big bucks for a saw to use just a few times a year. Do you cut firewood otherwise, & how much? The most useful firewood saw in the above would be a 70cc machine, MS 460 or 372xp. Those saws are light enough for regular firewood duty as well as big enough for occasional big stuff as jeff mentioned. A C

Whats your budget? ?

A 24" bar can tackle a big tree. But your gonna be cuttin from both sides.

The 440/441/460 (044/046) is an awesome range in power. Along with the 562XP/372XP/576XP if going Husqvarna.

Although, there all close to $1,000 new.

So are you looking for a Big Bar Saw. Or a Saw that can cut Bigger wood? A MS 361 can wear a 25" skip tooth and that will tackle almost 50" across (both sides)? Or are you looking for a 660 w/ 48" bar and getting it done in one swipe?

Id be looking for a used saw on craigslist, lot of good deals on professional saws right now.

I must admit (gulp) I am starting to really like the used Husqvarna 372XP that I got off of an online classified for $400.00. That baby just cuts.......and cuts......and CUTS! Honestly, like AC and the others said, you should get something in the 70cc-up range for what you are doing. You'll kick yourself if you get a small saw with the bigger wood. There's no replacement for displacement!

I must admit (gulp) I am starting to really like the used Husqvarna 372XP that I got off of an online classified for $400.00. That baby just cuts.......and cuts......and CUTS! Honestly, like AC and the others said, you should get something in the 70cc-up range for what you are doing. You'll kick yourself if you get a small saw with the bigger wood. There's no replacement for displacement!

;lol Noooooo Scotty, don't go over to the dark side.

Reactions: ScotO
How many cord of wood do you plan on cutting per year?
Like said, a 20 or 24" bar will cut twice the bar length. I most is over 24" then you should go bigger,
if just a few are over 24" then the 20 & 24" bars may be better suited for your needs. Lighter weight, easy to handle, cheaper to operate.

Stihl & Husq make good saws.
Visit a local saw shop & kick the tires on a few models of each & see what they recommend.

Wrap your paws around a MS460 (properly treated of course!) and tell me how much you still like that 372XP....

Lot's to love about the 372's and hard to compete with a legend in the woods.

Reactions: smokinj
I am looking for a chainsaw that I will use probably for about 5 times a year for cutting firewood when I find it and the pieces are too long. Some of the wood will be 36 to 48 inches in diameter. What do you guys think. I was leaning towards a Stihl or a Huskivarna.

Either brand will serve you well and I wouldn't consider anything less than 60cc with a 24" bar for the wood you describe.

562XP, 576XP or MS362, MS441, MS460 is where I'd start looking for new saws. I wouldn't go for a MS660 or 395XP size'd saw unless you had something smaller/lighter for the everyday duties.

Don't worry, I'm still watching and waiting for an 066 mag or 660 mag to come my way.....til then, I will be dual porting the muffler, and I may even do a Woods-port and squish band removal on the 372XP this winter. Make a few more "ponies" come out of it!;)

If you do that, there will be no need for an 066....... my 90cc saw gets no use since having my 372 ported. It will pull a 32" bar with authority and is sooooo much lighter!

As many have already stated, the saw to efficiently cut 48" diameter wood is going to cost $1000+ new, and $500+ used, unless you really shop for a deal. If you're fortunate enough to have that dough lying around, and don't mind spending it for a saw you'll use to make 5 cuts a year, have at it. I don't like spending my money needlessly.

If it's really only a few times a year, I'd consider two other options:

1. Rental. You could set the big stuff aside when it comes along, and maybe just rent 1x or 2x per year.
2. Buy a smaller saw, and accept you're really gonna work for the big stuff. You can carve up a 48" log plenty well with an 18" saw. Yes, you'll have to work at it, partial crosscutting and then splitting or noodling to suit, but it can be done.

I'd get a decent 50 - 60cc saw, and put an 18" bar on it. It will be a great all-around saw for cutting all things big and small. The 70 - 80cc saws are great for big stuff, but I don't like using such a big saw for cutting small stuff all day. I get tired enough swinging the maul!

Are you saying you cut all wood 5x year, or you just get into the big stuff 5x year?

You're looking to drop a lot of coin if you want to work 3' - 4' trees with authority....especially for something that only gets used 5x year.

I completely agree with Joful's last comment, but add a 24" bar for occasional use. I might also suggest you just pass on the monster rounds....they ain't no fun anyhows.

. add a 24" bar for occasional use.
I might also suggest you just pass on the monster rounds....they ain't no fun anyhows.

+1

Easy for you to say.
I'd like to try a monster round, one time would be fun, or at least a challenge.
I did CSS a 24" birch with my 20" once, was kinda fun. :)

But on a regular basis, your point well taken,
The way to go IMO.

+1

Easy for you to say.
I'd like to try a monster round, one time would be fun, or at least a challenge.
I did CSS a 24" birch with my 20" once, was kinda fun. :)

But on a regular basis, your point well taken,
The way to go IMO.

That's a pretty good sized birch I'd say. If I got into a stand of 16 to 24" stuff, I'd think I'd died & gone to heaven.:)

Anybody know where the phone pole forest is? A C

Reactions: jeff_t
The bigger the rounds, the better IMHO! I like having 40 to 50 splits off of one round, all those inner splits have NO BARK and NO SAPWOOD, that's the good stuff! Yes you gotta work a little harder, but the rewards are worth it. Noodle them really big ones if you have to, but don't pass 'em up!

I don't pass up the biggies, but one time I did have a trailer, stacked to the point of being waaaayyyy to heavy, full of those 12-24" rounds. All red oak, except for one cherry log. It WAS heavenly.

Depends on the tree. Usually the big ones are knotty and nasty, and rotten and/or hollow. Without exception they are heavy and hard to move. I'll take 2 20" over 1 40" any day. My back thanks me for it.

If buying used, a good deal can be had.

I just picked up a MS-260 this weekend off Ebay for $146 and a small warranty (little less than a month!).

Hard to beat that!!

If buying used, a good deal can be had.

I just picked up a MS-260 this weekend off Ebay for $146 and a small warranty (little less than a month!).

Hard to beat that!!

Keep rubbin those deals in Dex & I'm gona come get them saws dirty for ya.;lol
When you supposed to get that little hot rod btw? A C

Reactions: DexterDay
The bigger the rounds, the better IMHO! I like having 40 to 50 splits off of one round, all those inner splits have NO BARK and NO SAPWOOD, that's the good stuff! Yes you gotta work a little harder, but the rewards are worth it. Noodle them really big ones if you have to, but don't pass 'em up!

You're right on about the quality of wood in those big suckers. If they're solid you can't beat the btu's per round. Some days when it's hot & I'm tired of hacking through those things though, I still dream of the phone poles. A C

Depends on the tree. Usually the big ones are knotty and nasty, and rotten and/or hollow. Without exception they are heavy and hard to move. I'll take 2 20" over 1 40" any day. My back thanks me for it.

Yaabut... an 18" length of 40" round has 14.5 cubic feet of wood, and two 18" lengths of 20" round is only 6.5 cubic feet of wood. I'll take the one 40" over two 20". :p

48 inch wood no chump: 460 28 inch bar and choices of chains. Skip, half skip, no skip (In both full and simi Chisel) Oh and someone how and get me in and out of the pits fast! MMAUL BRING MORE GAS!

Status
Not open for further replies.