suggestion on this insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

randykyra

Hearth Supporter
Dec 14, 2010
Raleigh NC
Hello all,
I'm new to the forum and to the Stove insert world and I'm looking for a little input on the following insert. I'm looking at Osburn 1100. The only reason I'm not looking at a larger stove is because of my fireplace size. The home I'm in was built in 1930 and is two stories with a fireplace on each floor. The home is about 1350 Sqft on each level and I'll be placing the stove on the first floor. The home has two sets of stairs cases and I hope this will help is getting some of the heat up stairs. The Insert will NOT be the main source of heat. I'm just trying to minimize my natural gas bill from two gas furnaces. Price is a factor and the Osburn seems to be priced well ($1100 shipped before the 30% tax credit). Again I would love to be able to go bigger but my space in these 80 yr old fire places are limiting. I’ve also looked at the Jøtul C 450 Kennebec but it’s close to $1500 more then the Osburn and in my book that a crap load of money I can spend else where in the home. But having said that the Burn time of the Jøtul is claimed to be 8 hrs compared to 5 hrs of the Osburn. I really don’t want to have to stoke the fire in the middle of the night. So is the Osburn burn time really only 5 hrs or can I get 8 and still have ambers to relight a fire in the morning or after returning home from work? If anyone one could give me some insight or suggest other inserts, please do…. But remember I want to keep the price down if possible.

Thanks

Greetings Randy. Perhaps there may be other options which will get you a larger insert in there. What are the full fireplace dimensions?

Sorry,
The limiting factor is the depth. At the floor of the fire box it's 16.5 in. (not an issue) but as you move up the back of the box I start to lose depth. At about 13 inches It starts to come in and at 22 inch I have about 13 7/8 depth then at the very top of the fireplace (27.75 in) I only have 12 in of depth. The width at the front of the fireplace is about 33 1/2 and narrows to 29 in.

It might be a squeaker, but the Napoleon 1402 is about 14 1/4" deep at 21" high and might fit in there. It has a 2.2 cu ft firebox.

Or the 1.8 cu ft Avalon Rainier-45 has a 45 degree, sloped back model that is quite shallow and would fit there.

I do have one other question. I've found out the the firepalce is a Rumford style fireplace. Does anyone know if there's any issues with installing a Woodstove Insert into these fireplaces.

No issues other than making it fit. If you have the hearth space I would recommend a free standing stove. I find them easier than an insert for a Rumford.

Status
Not open for further replies.