suggestions atv or truck?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
i am debating on buying either an ol beater truck or an atv....i cut wood 95% on the farm right behind my house....atv i would think i could pull stuff out of the woods and cut and load in a small trailer....truck wouldnt get to those hard to get places, but would haul more.....not sure exactly what an atv is capable of....i rode em as a teenage all the time...but never used em for work

Is there a field or space of little value that could get chewed up close to where you plan on stacking the wood? Is there a field to drag too that you can get a nice truck to and easily / safely stack wood in it if you own one already?

If so, I'd consider a tractor to pull the trimmed logs to this area and then cut them to length / split them close to where they will be stacked if possible.

pen

Consider a "work" ATV. I can haul about 1/5 cord in the bed on mine...enough to be useful, but not enough to be tiresome. Rated for 800lb load in the bed and can haul 1500lbs. I had a 3x4 off road trailer for it, but it made the whole vehicle too long for tight trails. When hauling wood from neighbors, I use my 5x8 road trailer with mounted winch for skidding logs up the ramp. Hauls it fine on the dirt road. This ATV also works fine for trail riding, but the solid axle suspension isn't as smooth as IRS. Liked it so much, I bought a "spare".

Attachments

• atv_1.jpg
    atv_1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 405
  • atv_2.jpg
    atv_2.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 424
  • atv_3.jpg
    atv_3.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 424
  • atv_4.jpg
    atv_4.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 418
ATV, for sure. Multiple uses, hunting, riding, yard work, snow plow, trails over the whole 6 acres, etc.
Some of the uses might just be fun :)
Beside, you already have a truck. You could load the ATV in it & go many places where ATV are allowed & get way back country.

Ideal to have both. You can buy a used truck for less than some of the new ATVs. But ATVs can go where no truck can go and there are some great trailers for them now.

I have a 1987 toyota 4x4 that will haul some wood, get in tight places and pull a log like you would not believe. 244,000 miles and still going. owned for 18 years , been very dependable.

I find myself actually using the truck, then tractor, and only on rare ocasions using the ATV.

When do I use the ATV?

The rare very narrow trail.
When the ground is softish
When I'm 'Prospecting' - looking to see what is available on a piece of ground, or what came down after a storm.
When I'm just sneakin' out for a short trip.

ATB,
Mike P

steeltowninwv said:
..on the farm right behind my house....

How far, approximately, is "right behind" your house? A mile, 100 yards? What is your budget?

I love ATVs for moving wood around. I bought a new-to-me ATV a couple weeks ago, but have been borrowing my FIL's for years prior. Yes, I can haul more in the truck, and the truck is great for long distances, but the ATV can go almost anywhere. I would hate driving my truck with a full load in snow and mud for fear of getting it perma-stuck (see below).

I cut most of my wood a 1/4 mile up the road, then several hundred feet up some very narrow trails. ATV gets me from the woods to the wood shed in any conditions. Takes a couple extra trips over the truck, but they are short trips.

In the winter, when the ground is soft, I would rut up the yard moving wood from the shed to the house in the truck (or wait until the ground was good and frozen). I got my truck stuck, up to the rear axle, in the yard once and it was no fun. Had to unload the truck, get pulled out, then move all the wood again. Not a problem with the ATV.

Now I use my ATV for hauling sticks/brush/compost/leaves/grass clippings/tools/kids/etc. I used to always use my ZTR mower, but i felt it was hard on the hydros and it was worthless traction-wise in anything but dry grass.

You could pick up an beater truck for $500 that would carry wood...you could spend $7,500 on a spankin' new quad...just depends on where you are moving from and to...and how much you want to spend.

Do what my dad did. Went out for an ATV, came home with a Suzuki Samurai. Less than 20 years later he has three. Can get you to town on the roads, can get you where trucks can't go. Has a decent little bed for some firewood (not a lot, but more than an ATV without a trailer!)

I would get a little kubota or something like it. It works really well maybe a little more money then you were thinking if you get one new but old kubota's run good too.

2011-09-02%252014.38.07.jpg

My wood hauler. Easy to get around in the woods with this and still can haul a decent load.
Firstload.jpg

If you want to haul in log form, this is a good way to go. The dray cost me around $10 or less and maybe an hour to throw together. You surely could make it larger than this as the atv has no problem pulling a log load. I can even pull a load without using 4wd.
Dray-1.jpg

If needed, we could easily have loaded another log on top of this. I pulled it out of the woods not even using 4wd and it was like child's play. The atv just laughed at it.
Haulinglogs2.jpg

One more advantage of the atv.
Atv-5.jpg

Work saver for more than just fire wood.

Attachments

• 4X antlers.jpg
    4X antlers.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 251
Everybody's on the right track here. If you have easy access to the wood and it's not muddy, then a truck will be more useful/less work. ATV's are going to be the most fun for sure, and go every where anything with wheels has business going but are limited in capacity without a trailer which can make tight trails/muddy areas tough to navigate. Have you considered a UTV (zapNY has a Yamaha rhino that makes frequent appearances in his photo posts)? I like that the more work oriented ones can haul 1000lbs+ in the bed and you can always add a trailer. Deere's HPX machines are out there used and while they're no speed demon (25Mph) they are very capable off-road and will take you, that 1000lbs, and your buddy anywhere it fits. This is a big category and other manufacturers make some great machines too (For work, I bleed green but there are faster/more fun machines out there). Kubota, Kawasaki, Polaris, and Yamaha all make some great UTV's as well.

This works for me on those steep slopes,tight spots that my 98 GMC 4 X 4 cant get to.Crossing a shallow ravine in a couple places I have a pair of 3 x 12's nearby that get laid across & driven over.1975 JD 110 w/ 10HP Kohler is built like a tank.Routinely pull 500-600 lbs in that cart up all the slopes I can access & have pulled a 1500lb White Oak on the level with no problems.Its not worth a crap when the ground is very wet or covered with snow/ice though.That's why if possible I do my cutting from April to until the first snowfall then park it for the year.

Someday I'd like something different,but this works amazingly well,just takes more planning.

Attachments

• 2nd load pic 2.jpg
    2nd load pic 2.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 244
  • 2nd load of 3 today 92011.jpg
    2nd load of 3 today 92011.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 267
  • at east end of trail pointed north.jpg
    at east end of trail pointed north.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 254
A few thousand pounds of diesel powered tractor picks up the butt end of a good sized log and drags it home. Pretty cheap to operate and you will likely never use it up.

Thistle said:
This works for me on those steep slopes,tight spots that my 98 GMC 4 X 4 cant get to.Crossing a shallow ravine in a couple places I have a pair of 3 x 12's nearby that get laid across & driven over.1975 JD 110 w/ 10HP Kohler is built like a tank.Routinely pull 500-600 lbs in that cart up all the slopes I can access & have pulled a 1500lb White Oak on the level with no problems.Its not worth a crap when the ground is very wet or covered with snow/ice though.That's why if possible I do my cutting from April to until the first snowfall then park it for the year.

Someday I'd like something different,but this works amazingly well,just takes more planning.

A set of ag tires would help that rig out in the slick stuff, but you already know that. We had and old JD like that when i was a kid. Great little machines.

My oldest brother lives about 7 miles from parent's acreage,he's got a early '70's Ford Industrial 4500 Tractor with 63HP diesel & loader on the front.Uses it to move hay bales & move snow around his place.We could work something out sometime I imagine.Our work schedules/days off dont always mesh,plus very few bigger trees I drop are moved very far.They're either bucked on the spot for firewood or I carry the Alaskan Mill to it.Easier to move the mill in & load the planks/slabs in cart or pickup.

lukem said:
Thistle said:

A set of ag tires would help that rig out in the slick stuff, but you already know that. We had and old JD like that when i was a kid. Great little machines.
Best thing I ever did for my JD LX188 is get ag tires for it. Took the new craftsman out to mow the lawn the other day and it brought back the nightmares of trying to mow on a slope and pull even a slightly loaded yard car around. The last straw was when I was on a teensy incline and got stuck because I was driving over a garden hose. The rear tires just spun in place. I know this time, though, that ag tires will make it drive like a whole new tractor. I didn't know any better last time, so. Was ready to sell of the JD for something different. Glad I didn't!

JrCRXHF said:
I would get a little kubota or something like it. It works really well maybe a little more money then you were thinking if you get one new but old kubota's run good too.

2011-09-02%2014.38.07.jpg

I want one of these!

[quote author="Backwoods Savage" date="1320285216"]My wood hauler. Easy to get around in the woods with this and still can haul a decent load.
Firstload.jpg

I sure like that trailer. Did you make it?

Thistle said:

You're right about those ole JD 110's. They're tanks. Fine looking and hard working tanks. Can also be gotten at reasonable prices. I've been eyeing a few up during the past year.

WoodNStuff said:
Thistle said:

You're right about those ole JD 110's. They're tanks. Fine looking and hard working tanks. Can also be gotten at reasonable prices. I've been eyeing a few up during the past year.

Really? They're like gold nuggets around here with good mower decks and if they look like Thistle's. Had a crack at one with the full complement of implements inc. a snowblower. Kicking myself for passing on that one.

MasterMech said:
WoodNStuff said:
Thistle said:

Really? They're like gold nuggets around here with good mower decks and if they look like Thistle's. Had a crack at one with the full complement of implements inc. a snowblower. Kicking myself for passing on that one.
Still cheaper than a brand new low-end craftsman. At least they are around here. Prices on 110s vary between 500 an 800, with a few exceptions around these parts.

Truck, ATV . . . or tractor?

I think for me it would boil down to three issues: actual distance from your home to the wood lot, terrain and how much money you're looking to spend.

There are pros- and cons- to all three options . . . most of which have already been stated here.

However, as I said . . . distance to the woodlot is really important (and at least one or two other members have mentioned this) . . . if you're talking a quarter mile to maybe a half mile the ATV or tractor would be fine . . . the ATV having the advantage of being narrower in most cases and being multi-use for both play and work . . . the tractor having the advantage of being very useful for other projects and having more power in most cases (not to mention the ability to add implements depending on the size -- such as a logging winch.) However, if we're talking a mile distance . . . hauling small loads of wood back from the wood lot will be tedious . . . and a truck would do well here. In my own case I use the ATV to haul my bucked wood to the truck in a field as my wood lot and home are several miles distant.

Terrain . . . if the wood lot is relatively flat and open the truck may be perfect for getting in close to the wood . . . if the terrain is hilly or there are lots of ruts and the woods are tight the ATV or tractor may be a better option. In my own case there is no way I could (or would want to) drive my truck into the woods and get very close to my wood -- the ground is too rough and the woods are tight with lots of tire puncturing sticks and rocks.

Cost . . . Depending on what you go with I suspect buying a decent tractor may be the most expensive option (envisioning a Kubota like tractor and not a garden tractor) . . . although a decent ATV can be pricey as well . . . beater trucks can be bought pretty affordably . . . like anything . . . you often get what you pay for . . . except Lukem who ended up with a heckuva deal on his ATV . . . I still can't believe the deal he got.

firefighterjake said:
Terrain . . . if the wood lot is relatively flat and open the truck may be perfect for getting in close to the wood . . . if the terrain is hilly or there are lots of ruts and the woods are tight the ATV or tractor may be a better option. In my own case there is no way I could (or would want to) drive my truck into the woods and get very close to my wood -- the ground is too rough and the woods are tight with lots of tire puncturing sticks and rocks.

The Titan has a better COG than the Kubota. Put 10-plys with rim guard on the Titan and you will laugh at potential punctures. :lol:

On the othr hand, the wife can take the Titan to work . . . she'd freeze to death on the Kubota :wow:

But if you look around on Hearth, I think you will see that with these newer ATVs, many people make them work very well for wood retrieval. I'd not want to hook onto a 60' Oak 30' over a bank with the ATV though.

All depends on where/how yer gonna use it. ATV also prolly the easiest sell to the 'ole lady

Status
Not open for further replies.