Suggestions on a Pellet Stove Brand/Model

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

msb91932

Nov 19, 2012
Hello from the Poconos!

I have had a St. Croix Afton Bay stove for about 14 years. I have had some issues with it, and I think it is time for a new stove. I am away from home for 13+ hours per day and I worry about letting it burn without being there.

Can anyone offer up some suggestions on brands and models for new stoves? I have looked around at Harmon, and the usual's at stove stores. I have been told that with some, you are paying for the name and they don't work any better than the stoves at Home Depot or Tractor Supply. Is this the case? If I can save money, I would like to, BUT I am most interested in a stove brand/model that I can trust to work properly while I am not home.

I really don't know much about these, so I would appreciate any input you would be willing to give.

I have been told that Breckwell is a good choice, but I don't really see them anywhere. Are these available?

Thanks, Michael

You've had an Afton Bay for 14 years. That's a long life span for a pellet stove. Every stove has issues now and then. Why not another Afton Bay? I have one, and love it, very few problems.

Michael,
What is your other heat sources?

Personally for the 13+ hours I am away, I would turn the thermostat down to 55 and heat with my fuel oil boiler hot water baseboard. Then when I came home I would fire up the pellet stove. Right now fuel oil is less than $1.75 which is cheaper heat than $250 a ton pellets.

You've had an Afton Bay for 14 years. That's a long life span for a pellet stove. Every stove has issues now and then. Why not another Afton Bay? I have one, and love it, very few problems.

Thanks! Agreed, but I'd like a stove to hold two bags of pellets, and I don't think they do. Does yours? Also, the problem that I have is that, at times, it would dump a HUGE amount of pellets in the hopper and cause the whole burn chamber to fill up with flames and black smoke. Worried that it will start a house fire....yes I could be paranoid, but that's just me!:)

Michael,
What is your other heat sources?

Personally for the 13+ hours I am away, I would turn the thermostat down to 55 and heat with my fuel oil boiler hot water baseboard. Then when I came home I would fire up the pellet stove. Right now fuel oil is less than $1.75 which is cheaper heat than $250 a ton pellets.

I have baseboard electric heat. My pellet stove is in my finished basement, and I like to burn it non-stop to keep it warm down there. Otherwise, it's like an igloo.

So you have established that you need a large hopper (or a hopper that can take an extension). What other things do you need? do you need a large ash pan? Do you need thermostat control? Do you need something easy to maintain? Do you need something that you can get dealer service or are you fine with great customer service at a call-in help desk? How much area are you heating?

Just take a look at my signature and one of those top two is what I would recommend. Easy to maintain, large ash pan, thermostat/probe/or constant burn, burns anything, hopper extension, tanks, come in all sizes, reliable. Cons - needs more side clearance than some stoves, high initial cost (unless you get a killer deal on a used one like I did).

Of course there are other stoves out there that are great (or a great value) too, but unless you tailor your needs and wants in a stove, you are just going to get everyone to spout off their favorite stove.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mt Bob
Yep,agree with bogieb,a p61 with hopper extension.Yes harmans are much better than most,if not all cheaper brands,except for maybe the 2 new harmans,have to wait a few years.The harman is probably the easiest stove to clean on the market,longer before emptying ash pan also.The installed controls very user friendly,t stat works great,but can also be hooked to a room stat.

Thanks! Agreed, but I'd like a stove to hold two bags of pellets, and I don't think they do. Does yours? Also, the problem that I have is that, at times, it would dump a HUGE amount of pellets in the hopper and cause the whole burn chamber to fill up with flames and black smoke. Worried that it will start a house fire....yes I could be paranoid, but that's just me!:)

Mine holds just a bit over one bag. Mine has never done what yours did in piling up the pellets. You may have a problem with your venting, as reduced airflow will allow pellets to build up in the burn pot.

I do have a thermostat on mine, which keeps me from overheating the space the stove is heating, and wasting pellets.

Hello from the Poconos!

I have had a St. Croix Afton Bay stove for about 14 years. I have had some issues with it, and I think it is time for a new stove. I am away from home for 13+ hours per day and I worry about letting it burn without being there.

Can anyone offer up some suggestions on brands and models for new stoves? I have looked around at Harmon, and the usual's at stove stores. I have been told that with some, you are paying for the name and they don't work any better than the stoves at Home Depot or Tractor Supply. Is this the case? If I can save money, I would like to, BUT I am most interested in a stove brand/model that I can trust to work properly while I am not home.

I really don't know much about these, so I would appreciate any input you would be willing to give.

I have been told that Breckwell is a good choice, but I don't really see them anywhere. Are these available?

Thanks, Michael
Hi Mike. I have two Harman's, P38, & P43. Have had Harman's for many years, minimal problems. Clean & feed them, like a new born, & they'll keep you warm. Can't say how long I've been burning pellets, my early records were lost, when my computer crashed. I started with a Whitfield, which had to be cleaned every other day, then progressed to a Harman P38. Ran that P38 for approx. 10 years. Added addition to house, & installed a new P43, & a new P38, kept the old P38 for spare parts. Over the years I have used a combustion motor & a air blower from the old P38. I love my Harman's. Others, may be as reliable, but I can only speak of my experiences. Listen to all the advise, you can get, & then make a decision.
Ray

Reactions: bogieb
Can't go wrong with a Harman.... You just can't...

I agree with the other guys. My Harman runs on a programmable thermostat 7-24s whether I'm home or not, automatically starting and stopping as needed.
Ron

Might want to wait until later in the year before deciding. With oil so low, pellet stoves may see a slump in sales and prices may drop later in the year.
Just my coin.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.