Summer storage of Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsmith

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2009
Kutztown, PA
I am able to get three tons of Hamer Hot Ones for $179/ton. I had built a wooden storage bin in my garage last year to store the corn in that i was burning. I am wondering if the pellets will be ok in the bin over the summer if I pour them out of the bags and into the bin. They will be dry, but it also might get humid the garage. I'm thinking they will be ok but dont want them to swell from moisture. I did store pellets in the garage before, but I had them in their bags all summer. What do you think?

tsmith said:
I am able to get three tons of Hamer Hot Ones for $179/ton. I had built a wooden storage bin in my garage last year to store the corn in that i was burning. I am wondering if the pellets will be ok in the bin over the summer if I pour them out of the bags and into the bin. They will be dry, but it also might get humid the garage. I'm thinking they will be ok but dont want them to swell from moisture. I did store pellets in the garage before, but I had them in their bags all summer. What do you think?

Don't do it. Pellets are like a sponge. Leave them in their own bags and protective shipping wrap and you'll be fine. Why risk having something happen when you got them at a great price?

poconoman said:
Don't do it. Pellets are like a sponge. Leave them in their own bags and protective shipping wrap and you'll be fine. Why risk having something happen when you got them at a great price?

I agree.

Even without the shrink wrap is OK. As long as the pellets stay in their 40 lb bags you'll be fine.

Over the summer the pellets in my garage get quite moist on the outside of the bags but the pellets have no problems at all.

I think you're very likely to have issues if you un-bag them now.

thanks everyone i will leave them in the bags

Status
Not open for further replies.