"Summerizing" a stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first full summer that we'll have the stove in the basement after we've used it. The stove was installed March 2009 and we enjoyed a warm house for the first time this past winter. I think/know our burn season is now done. We had one last burn a week ago and this past weekend we've broken records with heat (30 Celsius which is high 80s in Fahrenheit). She's going into hibernation now.

I pulled and stuffed the OAK with insulation and have ordered more wood to compliment the 2 cords we have left over from this year. I'm wondering what to do after we've cleaned the ashes and brushed the chimney. Is it prudent to stuff it with newspaper? What about oiling? Anything else? I want to make sure I avoid any rusting issues (we run a dehumidifier in the basement but this may not be enough). Looking for your advice!

Edit
Just saw the post on deep cleaning a stove (must have missed it on my first scan) so my aplogies for posting the same topic twice. I'm gonna leave mine up here just in case anyone has something to add about a basement install and start implementing the the great info from the deep cleaning post. Thanks guys!

Don't jump the gun, it's only May and I bet you will have some cool windy days where a nice fire will take the chill out of your bones. Looks like my weather is about to change back to some wood heat later in the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.