Summers Heat 55-SHP10L on Generator?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kait27

Oct 10, 2013
Running a year-old Summer's Heat/Englander as our primary way of heating the house- New England is about to get slammed with a blizzard this week and I'm concerned about power outages. We have a 5500w gas generator but have never had a power outage while the stove was running. Can the generator power the stove- is the power "clean" enough? I have a small surge protector on the outlet the stove is plugged into but it's nothing fancy. Will the generator's "dirty power" ruin the stoves computer board?
Thanks!

Thats a crapshoot.

You definitely want to make sure that stove is getting clean power, check to see if your generator is a pure (true) sinewave as this will ensure 100% clean power to the stove. Dirty power can be ok for somethings and not so good for others. Just like SidecarFlip stated its a crap shoot.
I too live here in New England and currently have a true sinewave DC to AC inverter (Kisae model SW1210 1000watts) works mint connected to deepcycle marine battery.

One way to 'soften the blow' so to speak of having 'dirty power' as in a not true sine wave inverter genny is to use the genny to power other things at the same time, not just the stove (without exceeding the rated output) of the genny of course.

My whole house Generac is a skewed rotor 4 pole armature so it delivers modified sine wave but with the power going to different uses (and the stove), I've had no issues in 10 years.

Some stove board will be more sensitive than others depending on the quality of the components so you really won't know until you actually try it.

Running a year-old Summer's Heat/Englander as our primary way of heating the house- New England is about to get slammed with a blizzard this week and I'm concerned about power outages. We have a 5500w gas generator but have never had a power outage while the stove was running. Can the generator power the stove- is the power "clean" enough? I have a small surge protector on the outlet the stove is plugged into but it's nothing fancy. Will the generator's "dirty power" ruin the stoves computer board?
Thanks!
Well, if you're going to try it, you should try it before the storm hits, then you won't be in a pickle if it doesn't work.

The surge protector won't clean dirty power.

I run a 10 ga lead cord to house, into a Tripp Lite LC2400W Line Conditioner. Then I feed the sensitive stuff off of it. Everything else gets the dirty power. Half a Dozen uses with $4000 boiler, no issues.

Well, if you're going to try it, you should try it before the storm hits, then you won't be in a pickle if it doesn't work.

The surge protector won't clean dirty power.

I'm not sure thats good advice. What if a 'test' run fries the board, then the OP is SOL with a dead stove anyway. I think I'd wait until I actually needed it and then wing it.

With the storm fast approaching I wouldn't want to do anything about it now in case it hurts your stove. If the power goes out give it a try - you're no worse off. If I was you though I would go asap before the storm and get a SMART UPS back up - this will give you the "clean power" for electronics and a little breathing room to get the generator going once you lose power. I wouldn't want to just "test" what would happened when a control board is at risk... but that is just me. Others will probably say different. Either route you go - good luck to you.

I'm not sure thats good advice. What if a 'test' run fries the board, then the OP is SOL with a dead stove anyway. I think I'd wait until I actually needed it and then wing it.
Um, okay, so if the board fries, you'd rather it do it when there's 2 to 3 feet on the ground and the OP can't get anywhere?

I have a 3800W job site genny I use when the power goes out. My stove is connected to an APC 1500 Full Sine Wave UPS. The genny powers my refrigerator, some lights, and other small stuff along with the stove. Key is the UPS is between the stove and the "dirty" power of the genny and it's line conditioning circuitry cleans it up. Haven't had any issues running this way and having the UPS gives me about an hours worth of run time with no power so I don't have to scramble to get the genny running to keep smoke out of the house.

I have a 3800W job site genny I use when the power goes out. My stove is connected to an APC 1500 Full Sine Wave UPS. The genny powers my refrigerator, some lights, and other small stuff along with the stove. Key is the UPS is between the stove and the "dirty" power of the genny and it's line conditioning circuitry cleans it up. Haven't had any issues running this way and having the UPS gives me about an hours worth of run time with no power so I don't have to scramble to get the genny running to keep smoke out of the house.
Which model APC do you have?

Reactions: chken
Had a rack full of them when I had the server farm in the basement here. Like an idiot I sold them when I retired and shut down. Never thought about powering the house with them. :mad:

Um, okay, so if the board fries, you'd rather it do it when there's 2 to 3 feet on the ground and the OP can't get anywhere?

Agree. Did disaster recovery plans and dry runs for 38 years. Never seen a backup plan where you only run the test in the actual emergency. Pretty much a recipe for freezing your ass off. At a time UPS ain't delivering a new board lately.

Def a crap shoot. I have a big ole 7500 watt diesel gen that gives dirty power, but it runs the whole house, fridge, well pump and all the lights we want plus whatever else easily. however the pdvc has a reduced flame, hums and just doesnt give you a good feeling when running on that generator.
I also have a cheap chinese powermax 3500 watt generator that does not run the whole house. maybe the fridge and a few lights, but have to be careful of what we turn on. It is also dirty power but runs the pdvc just fine.
If its a minor power outage i'll use the small one, if we're in it for the long haul i fire up the diesel, shut the pellet stove and break out the trusty kerosene heater.

And they say the humming that happens can ruin the electric motors. I experienced this when I bought a cheap ups backup - I called APC who suggested I immediately stop using that model for motor loads or lose the motor with a few hours use - Upgraded to a Smart UPS and you don't even know the power switches off or the genny takes over - it is seamless at least for me. And yes running a "test" during an actual emergency makes no sense at all. Just like stove maintenance on miscellaneous items... doing it at midnight on the weekend is asking to be cold... in the morning before you go to work on a week day allows you easy access to a part if one fails or you break it.

Status
Not open for further replies.