Summers Heat-ESW

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So what exactly does the LBA setting do? My stove is now fired back up. The flame seems to be "dancing" around more than before.
Glad to hear about the flame. It should be somewhat short....maybe the height of the edges of the burn pot or a little above....very active.

The LBA button = Low Burn Air. It's basically a trim button. You can "fine tune" the stoves fuel/air ratio with that and the LFF (Low Fuel Feed). The other button (AOT=Air On Temp) ALWAYS stays at 1.

My flame height is actually very tall. It hits that upper plate that covers the heat exchange tubes. It has done this since I have had it.

The EP's pot is much different and burns different than the CPM.

Its normal for you to have a Taller flame. The EP and PAH dont have a wide and shallow pot.

Okay, so here is an updated from overnight.

I adjusted the LBA setting from 4 to 6 at the recommendation of some. The flame seemed much more active in the burn pot. The flame was quite tall. It seemed that all of the ash was getting blown out of the burnpot and falling into the ash tray or near there.

This morning the stove is going strong. The front window is not covered in black soot, but has a very light grey film on it. The burnpot is starting to fill with used pellet fuel. In the next few hours I will have to shut down and clear out a giant hunk of ash. It's almost like the feed is too fast for the rate of the burn. Therefore the pot just fills up. The air coming into the pot is unable to force the ash out now. So it just continues to pile on.

Yup, not enough air to completely burn the pellets and to eject the ash leads to pot buildup.

I suspect that if you were to change that vent setup or size you'd be able get a good long burn on the default lba setting.

There could be some other items at work as well that don't help.

I've a 96 hour old burn at the current time and the bottom of my burn pot is 50% clear and there is only a single layer of pellets burning in it where there are pellets.

It is a balancing act.

From the looks of it the 36" rise required by ESW is there to create a natural draft in case of a power loss. Other than that I can't think of another reason for having that rise. So, until I am able to complete my vent setup, is there any reason that I cannot temporarily set it up with no vertical rise?

Go for it just don't complain if you lose juice and get smoked. Your stove, your house.

I've seen a lot of England stove installations where they go through the wall and up the 3' on the outside turn 90 and terminate.

Not really any different than when the girlfriend cooks.

Reactions: smoke show
The reason that I don't just go up 3' and terminate is that my venting is under a porch overhang. That is the reason for the long section of horizontal piping to get me out from under that overhang. I may just hire someone to do the venting through the overhang. I just don't want to go broke in the process.

The reason that I don't just go up 3' and terminate is that my venting is under a porch overhang. That is the reason for the long section of horizontal piping to get me out from under that overhang. I may just hire someone to do the venting through the overhang. I just don't want to go broke in the process.

I can understand that.

So, a little update.

I let the stove run on the temporary vent setup. For review this had on 45* bend and about 3' of horizontal piping. I ran this with the factory setting on 4 for the LBA. The stove ran for 8 hours while I was away at work. When I came hone I found my glass to be hazed over. There was very light accumulation of pellets in the burn pot. I am starting to think some of my issues may be crap pellets.

I have returned my vent setup to the original way I had it. I put the LBA back to what you guys recommended, 6. I will keep an eye on the stove and grab some bags of Cubex this weekend to see how they do here.

Status
Not open for further replies.