summit cord routing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shredd_guy

Hearth Supporter
Nov 14, 2008
Ski Lane Ravine, Mn
help

we are installing our summit insert and we just came to the part where we would like to rout the power corrd out the right side. problem is there doesnt seem to be good way to do it. dealer is on install and the pe tech person is out. any body have any input. you are our only hope obi won

shreddguy said:
help

we are installing our summit insert and we just came to the part where we would like to rout the power corrd out the right side. problem is there doesnt seem to be good way to do it. dealer is on install and the pe tech person is out. any body have any input. you are our only hope obi won

You can run the cord either way. If your talking about right side by looking at front of the insert, it is already set up for that.
If you want to run to the other right side, side on left when facing front of insert, just carefully route it under the front of the insert behind the lower face plate making sure it will not get pinched.
The bottom of both surround sides is notched out to accommodate the cord passing through. The only issue is how close your wall outlet is.
I know at least one or two folks on here have run it on the opposite side.

What Hog said.

Mine runs to the left.

thanks hog we ended up running around the back although in rettrospect it looks like it could have been snuck through up front. Its seems to fit but sort of a pinch potential. when somone from pacific energy finally called me back they recomended going around the back side as long as it was low. But after a bit of frustration I was able to put it into position on Saturday.

I am having a bit of trouble getting the liner to fit all the way in to the collar (because there is a lot of binding with the liner in the bend of the chimney) but it seems as though it will be enough. I think I have an inch of engagement or so. should be just enough to get the hose clamp on. I am going to try to get it to fall in place today by trying to get some pressure off the liner by putting a guy on the roof and having him pull while i jimmey. Then i will have to tile the area infont of the fireplace hopefully I will be burning by christmas eve.

As long as the cord don't get pinched, I think any way you run it will be fine.
Try getting a 3"x4" or pry bar in the if you need to pry the liner into position. Just be careful not to exert to much pressure and damage the liner.
Thats why I hacked a portion of my damper area out. Nice straight run makes for easier installation.
You could always us a s.s. elbow also if its just not lining up right.

well its a done deal. since i work in a machine shop i allways think in precise terms and as we all know houses are not precisely built. my next challenge is to get the surround to seal up against the brick. since the brick has all of those mortar grooves in it I am thinking about laying some type of gasket material or insulation between the surround and the brick face then using some sanded silicone to seal it up. unfortunatly the insert is level but the brick is not. i think i will call pacific energy and give them some engineering advice.

another install issue is that 3 of the bricks came cracked and with out the piece that was cracked off and there were 2 bricks that are not listed on the parts list with angles cut into them. with enough rubiks cubing we were able to hide the cracks and make it work but it sure doesnt inspire confidence. I have a call in we will see how the dealer does with it. Thanks for the help with any luck and a reasonable inpector i burn tommarrow.

mine came with those angle cut briks in it also, I couldnt figure out what the heck...so I took them to the dealer and he traded me those 2 for 2 regular ones...walla-perfect.
Why do you want to seal up the surround to the brick so tight??

i have installed an AOK so I am worried about cold air comming in when I am not burning. ( not that much in the winter right now it is -6)
maybe not such a big deal?

hmmmm, might be...I honestly dont know. I didnt use the OAK. (one reason I asked the question) I'd be curious to know if it made a big difference.

i guess ill never know, seemed like it was the consensus (on this site) that it was the only way to go. Especially because i would like to limit the drafts comming into the house through my kids windows and stuff.. I will most likely run as is and see what happens. i have a special system to shut off the oak when I am on vacation. it looks a lot like a balled up sock stuffed into a pipe but its alot more complex than that :->

The brick package is a standard package I believe. PE ships the same for all Summit whether free standing or insert.
I think the smaller diagonal ones may be for the freestanding for around the ash dump. I would not worry excessively about sealing the surround to the brick.
I think you will find it doesn't make much of a difference either way.

good enough for me. as for the bricks it looks like with enough jockying around i have been able to hide the broken ones. Inspection complete this morning tonight we burn. Thanks for all the help. Ill post some pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.