summit or TL300

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

patriot

Nov 16, 2013
virginia
I am looking for advice on new stove and have mostly narrowed it to harmantl300 or PE summit. I am looking for max heat, and least repair cost so i especially would like input from those who have owned them awhile. my local dealer has both and suggested the tl300 but this may have been influenced by factory rep from harmon who was there since dealer didnt even mention summit

Welcome to the forums. Both stoves are great heaters, but as a Harman owner I would actually recommend the PE for greater ease of use and less potential for overfire, costly repair, draft problems, etc. There are many happy Harman owners, but a few unhappy ones as well.

The Harman uses a downdraft burn chamber (in the rear of the stove) while the PE has a variation on the more common burn tube technology, where the secondary combustion occurs within the firebox. The former is more prone to require a longer learning curve and babysitting the stove, the latter is more user-friendly.

You might also consider a catalytic stove (Buck, Woodstock) as an option. Either way, well-seasoned wood is essential for good performance!

I have both stove types and like them both. As far as heat output the harman wins hands down over my englander 30 which is a burn tube type. Yes the englander is easy to operate but does not put out the amount of heat nor sustain it over as long a burn time as the harman.I Im not familiar with the PE summit. One thing to consider is the harman is NOT suited to a small room. Mine is in a 18x20 uninsulated basement room and it never goes below 85-90 in that room even at minimum air setting.

One thing to consider is draft, the TL300 I own runs best when it is below 40::F, when temps are above that I need to start modifying my burning techniques.
(Some of my wood is not seasoned to proper levels)

One of the selling points of the Haman for me was that it is a top loader and its grill insert.
I live in MN and I grill more on my Haman than I do in the BBQ.

With the Harman on a load of seasoned hardwood I can easily get 14 hours of heat with the eco-fan still spinning.

(Add un-seasoned wood to the picture along with a poor draft then the Harman is a real pain to operate.)

A thing to note: If your average temps are above 40::F you better have seasoned wood with a <20% moisture level or you will have issues.

A tube based stove is easier to operate and has a less of a learning curve, though you will not get extended burn times as you would with a Harman or even a Cat based stove.

As for the dealer, if you have a good dealer to support you with getting your stove running properly then the Harman would be a good match.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
thanks for the input. i did previously read some tips you wrote on tweaking theTL300. i have a straight pipe going from basement thru 1st & 2nd floors so draft if anything may be too strong. had problems w/ jotul f600 burn tubes warping and falling out so i am junking it after 2 rebuilds in 10 years. i do have damper above stove in pipe. usually i run it 300-650 so i dont get why its fallen apart. i see some mostly old reviews on summit and very little on TL300 which makes me wonder if people are buying them

I grew up 15 min away from where they build pacific energy stoves. They are definitely the most popular stove around the coast of BC. They started out like most just building simple black plate steel stoves, I'm always amazed at used ones on Craig's list around here, even ones that have been run hard, at worse only seem to need a baffle and a door gasket. If you like the keep it simple outlook on life they are the stove to get, and the best part is now you can dress them up to 9's with the Classic or Alderlea stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.