Super Cedar Fire Starter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
Ok, somebody mentioned "Super Cedar Fire Starters" and last year I had a big box of Fat Wood. I found myself using the Fat Wood to encourage the normal kindling. I didn't use Fat Wood in PLACE of kindling.

Is the premise here that the Super Cedar Fire Starter is supposed to take the PLACE of kindling? Or is it just to be a tool to use in conjunction with kindling?

http://supercedar.com/ss.html

Here's the quote from the "Indepedant Laboratory" that did the testing: (sounds impressive)

"Based on the foregoing investigation and analysis, to a reasonable degree of engineering certainty, MDE Engineers concludes the following. The Super Cedar and Duraflame Firestart ignited with one match as opposed to three matches with the Fat Wood. The Super Cedar achieved higher flame temperatures in a faster time period compared to the other products. After 9 minutes the recorded temperatures are comparable between the Super Cedar and the Duraflame Firestart and after 13 minutes the temperatures for all products are comparable until 30 minutes. The duration of the flaming is comparable between the Duraflame Firestart and the Super Cedar, at more than 50 minutes, both being significantly longer in time than the Fat Wood at 25 minutes. The visible smoke emissions of the Super Cedar are less than the Duraflame Firestart and significantly less than the Fat Wood."
-MDE Engineers, Inc.

-Soupy1957

P.S.: The price of 100 of these is cheaper on the SuperCedar.com website (about $45.00 cheaper, in fact) than on amazon.com, folks! (Amazon Quantity: 108).

See this thread:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/58209/

Thomas (a valued member of these forums) will be happy to send you a couple of free samples to try out for yourself. I generally use 1/4 of a Super Cedar along with some kindling to get my fires going. The Super Cedar chunk basically eliminates the need for newspaper or other tinder. If you were to use a whole Super Cedar, you could probably forego kindling entirely, as the thing'll burn for at least 30 minutes and get small splits going no problem. Rick

Fossil,
I can "pass" on the free samples from Thomas, just because the wife and I looked at the test data from their website, and decided to order a box of 100 from them.
The video that BrotherBart placed a link to, was quite convincing (as was the Test Data), in that no newspaper was used, nor small kindling. Those were smallish normal splits the guy was lighting up.
We were certainly impressed. We bought a huge box of Fat Wood last year, and it DID take a number of matches to get em going, and a number of the Fat Wood pieces together, to really kick up a storm.
I'll review this years use of the Super Cedar, in March of 2011, and let ya'll know what I thought. I was just looking for some Forum imput from those who have used the Super Cedar product.
-Soupy1957

Just do a search...there must be a zillion threads here about them.

With north/south loading, a half of a SuperCedar, broken into 2 quarters, will start a dry softwood fire with no kindling, though I often place the SC quarters on top of a pile of nut shells.

Tunnel of Love: For stoves that are deep enough to place splits in a north/south (parallel to the sides) orientation. This technique works great on stoves that have an air feed in the front bottom center of the firebox.
1) Put two medium-sized (~3-4"), dry splits about 2" apart in the center of the firebox with their length parallel to the sides of the stove (N/S).
2) Put your favorite starter (crumpled newspaper + kindling, wax starter, etc.) in the gap between the splits. Or, a quarter chunk or two of SuperCedars works great here.
3) Then put another 3-4" split on top of the gap. I like to put it on a slight diagonal for better air circulation as the fire gets started.
4) Light the newspaper or starter(s) and leave the air wide open and let it start. The air feed from the airwash will head up the tunnel of love and fuel the fire.

Dear Moderator (Fossil)..........what does Mountain Of Love have to do with any of thiis?! (lol)

-Soupy1957

"The Hearth Room
Come on in and sit around the fire with a number of colorful characters who, like the Cartalk Guys, can answer ANY question regarding wood stoves,coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and more ....but don't be surprised if your answer contains a little more than you were asking for!"

I don't think my sweetie would be pleased if I started referring to her as my Mountain of Love (or if I made any references to her Tunnel of Love, either)! And how can this be off topic? The thread is about fire starters...

Instead of using matches try using a self lighting propane torch. I used to use the butane lighters with the long tip but they did not work very well. Started using the torch and never looked back.
You can also use the torch to preheat the flue if your draft is a bit lacking.

BeGreen said:
...Speaking of George, how about River of Love?

Monotonous to the point of nausea. George can do better than that. Rick

flyingcow said:
...Super Cedars work very well.

Exactly. Nothing more to say about them. So why stay on topic? :coolsmirk:

flyingcow said:
fossil said:
flyingcow said:
...Super Cedars work very well.

Exactly. Nothing more to say about them. So why stay on topic? :coolsmirk:
'
Good point! Just a Ramblin' Man. Just a Ramblin' thread. :coolsmile:

Hell, if we can't have fun, why are we here? :roll:

Hell, if we can’t have fun, why are we here?

Was that Adam or Eve who said that?

DanCorcoran said:
Hell, if we can’t have fun, why are we here?

Was that Adam or Eve who said that?

I thought it was the snake.

Treacherous said:
I wonder if I can buy these directly from a company store? They are in my neck of the woods and probably less than a mile as the crow flies from the Lopi factory in Mukilteo, WA.

Give Thomas a call or send him an e-mail. My bet would be that he'd give you a tour of the factory if you came over. But I'm not his attorney, so don't hold me to that. %-P Rick

I sent time an email. I wanted to take a tour of Lopi factory as well but saw a notice last week that they were fully booked the rest of 2010. I guess I will have to wait until 2011 for that.

fossil said:
Treacherous said:
I wonder if I can buy these directly from a company store? They are in my neck of the woods and probably less than a mile as the crow flies from the Lopi factory in Mukilteo, WA.

Give Thomas a call or send him an e-mail. My bet would be that he'd give you a tour of the factory if you came over. But I'm not his attorney, so don't hold me to that. %-P Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.