Super clinker

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heat seeker

Minister of Fire
Feb 25, 2011
Northern CT
This is from a 10 or 12 hour burn of Lignetics, with my Versa-Grate disconnected.
Fire was normal, heat normal, but this clinker took up the whole bottom of the burn pot.

Attachments

• IMG_2692.jpg
    IMG_2692.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 778
Impressive! Makes me want to run right out and go get some Lig's. I've forgotten what getting a clinker was like. ;-)

So that's what a clinker looks like! ;-)

You mean the Ligs? I have just a few bags left, then I'm moving on and not looking back at Lignetics. I'm getting some pellets next week; it remains to be seen what is available around here.
If you really want the Ligs, I'll stuff some in an envelope and mail them to you ;-P

heat seeker said:
This is from a 10 or 12 hour burn of Lignetics, with my Versa-Grate disconnected.
Fire was normal, heat normal, but this clinker took up the whole bottom of the burn pot.

10-12 HOURS!!! Yowzer's.... Thats pretty quick to build up that fast. Are these Green Label Ligs.. And if so. Are these the 100% Hardwood Green labels? Or the Blend Green Label? I haven't had any problem with them. Takes a few days, running straight, to get anything bigger than a 50 cent piece in the Quad. Most times there smaller than a nickel.

Thats a Super Large Clinker for a Super short amount of time. Why is the Versa Grate disconnected? Experimentation?

"Made from the finest hardwood sawdust"

The gearbox for the Versa was getting bit noisy, so I figured I'd try running it without and see what happened. I will try again with another brand of pellet in the near future.

This is about 1 bag of pellets clinker. With the Versa going, I get much smaller clinkers, they are about 3/4" spheres.

Attachments

• IMG_2697.jpg
    IMG_2697.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 684
Them's the blue letters lig's. Green's are better. Blues where getting some bad reviews here and many disliked them.

I never got to find any around me. Just the green letters.

That's nice! I haven't ever had to many issues with clinkers until this year. I bought a ton of Instant Heat from TSC and man have I gotten some HUGE clinkers! I almost have to call them clunkers because they are to big to make just a clink when they hit something!

What causes clinkers anyway?

I believe that clinkers are ash that has melted together into a semi-solid mass. I can't define it that well, but I know one when I see one!
It usually refers to the residue from burning coal, but we pelletheads have adopted the term.

Again, to much green raw material in the pellets.

Eric

What is considered green raw material?

Bigjim13 said:
What is considered green raw material?

Green as in not dried. Green saw dust or green wood. Might be silica also.

Eric

Would that green contribute to creosote formation? I haven't noticed any change in my stoves accumulation of ash, etc., but maybe I should re-check my vent piping.

heat seeker said:
Would that green contribute to creosote formation? I haven't noticed any change in my stoves accumulation of ash, etc., but maybe I should re-check my vent piping.

Creosote will form when the exhaust gases drop below 190 degrees. That is why you should keep the venting short.

Eric

Thanks, my venting is short and direct.

Chlorides cause clinkers. It fuses with the ash and other minerals under high heat. Wood contain salts it leaches from the ground as its grown in. Along with the other minerals. The PFI label will have the allowable chloride content for a premium pellet. Green or not, If the wood has high chlorides and is pelletized, You then get what the OP has nicely take a picture for us to see. I have heard some mills will wash the wood to reduce the salt content. But I have only heard it as romurs. Nothing rock solid though.

Clinkers came from the corn burnes. Corn has high starches and it fuses with the other minerals in corn to form a lava rock. To reduce the clinkers corn burners will add ground oyster shells to offset them. FYI for you.

j-takeman said:
Chlorides cause clinkers. It fuses with the ash and other minerals under high heat. Wood contain salts it leaches from the ground as its grown in. Along with the other minerals. The PFI label will have the allowable chloride content for a premium pellet. Green or not, If the wood has high chlorides and is pelletized, You then get what the OP has nicely take a picture for us to see. I have heard some mills will wash the wood to reduce the salt content. But I have only heard it as romurs. Nothing rock solid though.

Clinkers came from the corn burnes. Corn has high starches and it fuses with the other minerals in corn to form a lava rock. To reduce the clinkers corn burners will add ground oyster shells to offset them. FYI for you.

Sir, that is why you get the big bucks.

Eric

kinsman stoves [email said:
[email protected][/email]]
j-takeman said:

Sir, that is why you get the big bucks.

Eric

Big bucks? Guess I better ask for a raise. I've been working for peanuts! ;-)

Interesting facts! I'm sure the board admin will double your pay really soon :roll:

heat seeker said:
I believe that clinkers are ash that has melted together into a semi-solid mass. I can't define it that well, but I know one when I see one!
It usually refers to the residue from burning coal, but we pelletheads have adopted the term.

Yes, it is a term I have heard from coal burners. In fact during the movie "A Christmas Story" when their (coal?) furnace conks out, dad yells, "It's a clinker! That blasted stupid furnace dadgummit!"

Sorry for the tangent.

Status
Not open for further replies.