"SUPER-premium" pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cac4

Jul 11, 2008
Essex County, MA
Just came back from a local pellet/stove dealer...stopped in to see if they've adjusted their prices since earlier in the summer (they haven't). I noticed that of the 5 brands they're stocking, 2 are labelled "super" premium. What do you suppose that means?

(super-premium brands were Okanagans and Rocky Mountain. )

is there a new official designation from the pellet institute? or what?

All your getting is a "super" screwing!

rocky mountains are way better then other "premium" brands i have burned, including eureka and calentitos. I would call rocky mountains, super, especially since they cost the same as the other brands mentioned.

Don't know where you got your definition of "super" premium pellets BTU, there are PFI labeled "super" premium pellets that are below 8,000 BTU. I believe the new "super" standard is more about ash content then anything else.

Also, if ANY PFI label really meant anything they (PFI) would include the standards on their web site, and INSIST any bag of pellets with a PFI label to be a tested member. They do not.

[/quote]

Rocky Mtns Pellets will also qualify, but don't burn quite as hot as the Okies...but are still a very good pellet...(I really like that handle in the bag too...)

[/quote]

I liked the quality of the Rocky mountans when I tried them out. As far as the handle goes it is great for carrying the bag, but for pouring directly into the hopper is the pits. Most others just pull apart at the seam, grab the opposite corner then pour all in. The handle thing is a bit trickier cause pellets get stuck on the opposite corner at the handle then you have to lower the bag, let the remaining pellets fall then tilt the bag up again. Makes a little extra work that I was not expecting but the quality of the pellets definately make up for that handle.

the PFI is working on that http://www.pelletheat.org/2/quality.html#labs granted it could have come sooner , but dont shoot the messenger i do not work for them.

as for super premiums , i have only burned the rockies (and i like that handle bag as well) i liked them , i got more heat from the lignetics though (note , its only my stove , not a comparison of many so i can only offer my observations based on my unit)

And next year look for the "ULTRA SUPER DOOPER PREMIUM" coming to a store near you!

Not sure about everyone else but I feel a super premium pellet is worth the extra $$...burnt rocky mtns and eagle valley last year and what a huge difference with ash and heat. Half the cleaning of a reg premium pellet at least in my stove. Would not waste my time with sub par pellets again.

All one has to do is to log onto this forum and use the search engine for the brand name of the pellet you are considering. The folks here with tons (no pun intended) of experience pull no punches and you will know whether or not you should consider it.

BTU said:
BJN644 said:
And next year look for the "ULTRA SUPER DOOPER PREMIUM" coming to a store near you!

Well that would certainly be a step up from most of the crap that they call "Premium" now....!!!

Under the heading of "crap pellets", I see dealers (especially on Long Island) claiming that ACP are "Premium"...what a laugh.

The North Idaho brand I have been selling for 7 years has just received the Super Premium label. I also sell the Clean Burn which does have problems from time to time. When it is that time it is the consumer that gets screwed, everyone has already been paid. They mention it to me then I pass it on to the manufacturer and they say oh ya we fixed that! We still sell them because of $20.00 less per ton than the North Idaho which never has a complaint.

Status
Not open for further replies.