super small gas fireplace burner/log assembly?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 5, 2011
NH
I'm looking at installing a vented fireplace log set into an old masonry bread oven. it is 20'' wide in front, but tapers into about 16'' about a foot back.

we are on propane.

I'm looking for the smallest gas burner log set I can find. Any ideas???

something like this...

Attachments

• 3201887-450px.jpg
    3201887-450px.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 131
into an old masonry bread oven. i

Ummmm. I have my doubts about that.

I doubt that should be done. Gas log sets are designed to be installed in wood burning fireplaces, not wood burning stoves. And I'd be surprised if they would be permitted in an oven.

One issue you have is that when gas is confined and lights off, it can be explosive, and you would be confining it in a stove or oven.

Another is that gas logs are yellow flame burners, and any flame impingement can be expected to produce carbon monoxide and soot. It's very common to see clots of soot on gas log sets that have been operated, and high levels of carbon monoxide in the flue gasses of vented gas log sets should be expected.

There are no unvented gas log sets that I've ever heard of. Unvented stoves and fireplaces come as a complete package to hope and pray that their narrow safety margins will be enough to avoid poisoning their users with carbon monoxide. No deviation from the installations standards of the manufacturer are permitted, or smart to experiment with. That's really true for vented gas log sets as well.

However, if you find equipment that permits this kind of installation, I'd be glad to have you post the make and model here. Always glad to educate myself on things I haven't heard of before.

great info there thanks!
yeah It was a stretch....we have the woodstove in the other room anyway. I was just intrigued by having a fire burning that I can turn on and off with a button. I guess I will stick to those complete unit direct vent fireplaces in the future.