Surdiac parts assembly help needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diggy

Nov 3, 2006
southcorningschool.com
Does anyone have an assembly diagram or exploded parts diagram for a Surdiac 516 coal stove? I cannot for the life of me figure out where the "furnace paddles" should go. If someone could even just explain to me where they go, even w/o a diagram, it would be a great help.

How do I post a picture? did this work?

Attachments

• WM-4200536-T.jpg
    WM-4200536-T.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 420
I guess it did work.

Also BTW, this is a cast iron part just as the grates, hopper, etc. There are two of them, mirror images of each other. Also, ALL Surdiac models seem to have had these furnace paddles, so if someone could find an assembly diagram or instructions for ANY Surdiac model (I haven't been able to), these furnace paddles would most likely be in the same place in all.

Pic is very small.......how big is the thing?

If it is pretty big, it might actually be sort of the upper firebox liner around the hopper. Although there are also two identical pieces which form the liner around the grates.
Woodman Associates has some parts for Surdiac, perhaps they would be able to help with a diagram....see their listing on the products page - https://www.hearth.com/prod.html

As for size, the two furnace paddles end-to-end stretch the length of the firebox (the long dimension). So the upper firebox liner location around the hopper is a good guess. I will look into that today. I have spent hours trying to figure these out.

The two parts that form the "box" around the grates and grate support are pretty self-explanatory as to where they go, but they are not identical-- one is taller than the other. I have placed this one in the back. I am not actually sure that it should not be in the front, but the extra 3/4" or inch of height would tend to hinder access to the coals, if needed, and the few pictures of Surdiac 516 stoves that I have found at my local library do not show this liner as visible through the glass-- another reason why I placed the taller one in the back.

As for Woodmans, Fran emailed me back that he only sells the parts and cannot tell me where they are supposed to go.

Diggy said:
did this work?
That looks like the bottom part of the coal chute to me, that extends the hopper into the firebox. I used to be a Surdiac dealer but threw all my docs away long ago...

If they are the length of the firebox, then they cannot be hopper related....at least it would seem so.

I think you are correct on those lower liners, although I thought they were both the same height.

Yes, check to see if there is any way they can hang at the top of the firebox - I know this much, we never either removed nor replaced any of these in my years as a Surdiac dealer.

precaud may be onto something...doesn't the hopper have actually 4 pieces? (2 and two) - larger uppers and smaller replaceable lowers? I may be thinking of another stove.

I have figured it out. precaud was pretty much correct. I was absolutely wrong about the placement of the taller of the two firebox pieces. The taller one goes in the front. The furnace paddles then fit just above the shorter, extending it up and behind the hopper. I didn't have my camera with me, but if you're interested, I can take a picture of the assembly w/o the hopper in the way, although it seems you don't get many questions like this.

I would, however, appreciate any tips on using the fiddle sticks from a former Surdiac dealer, since there is no shaker grate. I have heard that it is sometimes hard to keep a burn in the Surdac stoves. This will be my only source of heat this winter, so it has to work.

I really appreciate the help. I think that communicating with someone responsive set the wheels of my brain turning and really helped solve the puzzle.

Status
Not open for further replies.