Surge Suppressor Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

subsailor

Minister of Fire
Dec 8, 2011
Winthrop, Maine
I just bought a Tripp-Lite Isobar4Ultra. My Protection Present light is on but dim. My Fault light is on as is the Line OK line. The last 2 tell me the outlet is ok (Line OK) but the outlet probably isn't grounded (Fault light). My house was built in 1930 and the outlets aren't grounded. Supposedly the entire house is grounded, not the individual circuits. That said, does this mean the suppressor won't protect my stove, or will it still function the way it should??

It will only protect the stove from transients from line to nuetral. Transients from Hot to ground, or nuetral to ground will not be suppressed. I would add a ground wire from the breaker-box to the stove outlet, to a 3 prong socket.

What does that mean that your entire house is grounded? For lightning strikes? If the earth ground from your appliances isn't connected to that system, you could get shocked given a certain sort of equipment failure. Hot-neutral transients are generally your main concern, and those should be as covered as the supressor says.

Status
Not open for further replies.