Surprised to see no eye protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
I've been seeing a lot of chainsaw users without eye protection. I initially thought it was unusual to see, but now I see it all the time on TV (logger shows, youtube etc). Do all you guys use eye protection while using the chainsaw? Am I too paranoid?

I have a helmet shield. Goggles to if its real windy.

gzecc said:
I've been seeing a lot of chainsaw users without eye protection. I initially thought it was unusual to see, but now I see it all the time on TV (logger shows, youtube etc). Do all you guys use eye protection while using the chainsaw? Am I too paranoid?

Helmet with ear protection and a shield.

Zap

Depending on the weather & where I am its always clear or dark safety glasses that fit over my eyeglasses.Earmuffs or sometimes corded earplugs always,Hardhat with mesh screen,swivel earmuffs when felling,limbing or stomping through the brush.Steel toed lug sole boots all the time too,was wearing them on the job 20yrs ago before OSHA & Contractors made it mandatory.

Hardhat w/hearing protection and face shield and chaps. Been cutting wood every morning this week and most days by the time I get all my gear on and coat the coffee kicks in and I have to poop! :sick:

Usually just rugged sunglasses :-/ Same ones I wear mountain biking.

Definitely put on the chaps. About 15 years ago I got caught off guard by kickback while dropping a willow tree. The end result was the saw with the chain still spinning catching my leg to the tune of only 10 lucky stitches and a lesson I’ll never forget. Call it a “near miss†to what could have happened. Every since, all the safety gear previously mentioned and the leg protection chaps. Steel toe boots too. I hate to see people doing this work in tennis shoes.
Speaking of eye protection: does anyone consider it when stoking the fire? I’ve had things go “pop†in there when opening the door. We have 16 inches of hearth then 26 inches of tile. Sparks have burnt carpet 4 feet from the door, one landed on a nice chair. Occasionally the embers have landed in my hair (what’s left of it) which is usually detected by smell. Oh ya, also have a couple shirts with small burn holes. (blame it on the hedge). At any rate, I wear prescription glasses most of the time but have considered leaving safety glasses nearby for others who like to feed the fire.

I have the Stihl helmet with faceshield and I wear safety goggles. The gentleman that sold me my chainsaw told me how he damaged his eye permanently with a wood chip from a saw. He had glasses on but the chip came in at a bad angle around the glasses. Vision is just too precious to loose on a cavalier attitude that "it will not happen to me".

I always wear double front logger pants even if Im doin nothing. But thats it.

Shorts, sandals, hawaiian shirt, and baseball cap are all I need.

Then when I go into the woods, helmet (when required), glasses, ear muffs, gloves, steel toed boots. No chaps yet, but have been pricing them out.

I always wear eye protection. Seems like it is usually windy down at the wood piles, and saw chips have a way of getting into my contact lenses if I don't wear goggles.

Always wear safety glasses but that's about it, if I know I'm going to be cutting for a while I'll throw on my ear muffs. I need to get a helmet with a shield and some chaps before something stupid happens.

I wear cheapo clear safety glasses under a Stihl forestry helmet with metal mesh shield. This combination gives me protection without fogging.

I wear glasses when I can, but when cutting in warmer weather they just get all covered in sweat and fog up, which IMHO, is much more dangerous than just going without. I'd rather get dust in my eyes than screw up a cut and end up injured.

IMHO, the best option is a face shield.

Stihl safety sunglasses only about $12, I wear them all the time.

I always wear eye protection, good work boots, jeans without holes in them and grippy gloves. Not enough PPE, but its better than most people seem to use.

Chaps and a good helmet are on my short list.

Helmet, ear protection, mesh shield, chaps, steel toes, gloves,

Protection, protection, protection !!!!!

Shawn

MMaul said:
Stihl safety sunglasses only about $12, I wear them all the time.

If dont you can pick saw dust out of your eyes for the rest of the week! Nothing worse......

Gloves, earplugs, and safety glasses have a permanent home in the wood-cutting toolbag. I wear jeans or the equivalent, and good 10-inch leather boots.

I've learned that it's best to own MANY pairs of safety glasses, and OODLES of earplugs. I can't tell you how many times I've thought "this is loud" or "I should have something over my eyes" and it's just a matter of rummaging in the various cubbies of the truck until I can produce a pair of glasses or plugs.

All this talk of chaps and face-shields though is making me really think of going back to handsawing.

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
Gloves, earplugs, and safety glasses have a permanent home in the wood-cutting toolbag. I wear jeans or the equivalent, and good 10-inch leather boots.

I've learned that it's best to own MANY pairs of safety glasses, and OODLES of earplugs. I can't tell you how many times I've thought "this is loud" or "I should have something over my eyes" and it's just a matter of rummaging in the various cubbies of the truck until I can produce a pair of glasses or plugs.

All this talk of chaps and face-shields though is making me really think of going back to handsawing.

I believe the most common injury when using a chainsaw is to the legs. I also believe that the most common time for injury is when bucking. 1+1=2 !!! Well worth wearing chaps to kill 2 common problems in 1. The $60 for chaps is cheaper than the co-pay at the hospital to get the skin on the leg repaired, let alone the cost of surgery from doing some deep tissue damage, let alone the pain of either.

Shawn

CountryBoy19 said:
I wear glasses when I can, but when cutting in warmer weather they just get all covered in sweat and fog up, which IMHO, is much more dangerous than just going without. I'd rather get dust in my eyes than screw up a cut and end up injured.

You might try some Cat Crap. Yes, there is such a product and it works pretty good to keep from fogging. If you can't find any, let me know.

I wear regular eyeglasses and that is all I've ever worn for the eye protection. I definitely do wear ear protection though.

Backwoods Savage said:
CountryBoy19 said:

You might try some Cat Crap. Yes, there is such a product and it works pretty good to keep from fogging. If you can't find any, let me know.

I wear regular eyeglasses and that is all I've ever worn for the eye protection. I definitely do wear ear protection though.

I wear clicks fogging not an issue, but only use them on windy day. Saw dust in the eyes hurts for days!

Safty glasses ear plugs and chaps are a must . It happens waaaaaay to fast out there

Helmet with face shield and ear muffs. Sometimes safety glasses too if fogging and sweat isn't to much of a problem. Chaps and steel toed boots too. I find it interesting that on Axmen so far, only the Canadian crew wear any PPE beyond helmet and ear plugs. The Canadians also seem to be the only guys on the show with full mouths of teeth too.

Status
Not open for further replies.