Surprising Math

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hydraulic wood splitter: $950
Progress Hybrid Stove: $2400
Stihl Chainsaw: $550

Turning my least favorite season into my most favorite season of the year: Priceless
Wood stove, came with the house
Electric Splitter , $350
3 Chainsaws , 2 used, 1 a referb , $530
My sentiments , Turning my least favorite season into a much better season of the year: Priceless

Fuel, oil mix, bar oil, chain sharpening supplies/costs, chains, bars, saws, saw cases, work gloves, hearing protection, eye protection, leg protection, work clothes, truck fuel, truck insurance, truck registration, trailer registration, building materials for things like saw bucks, stock racks, ramps, or row covers, splitting maul, wedges, sledge hammer, gas powered splitter, splitter glass, ash vac, wood stove, chimney and stovepipe, chimney and stove pipe accessories, chimney brush, glass cleaner, lighter or matches, creosote powders and bricks.

Have you or will you purchase any of the above? The all count against your savings. I am sure I missed quote a bit.
No wonder wood is 200.00 a cord. Looking at all that my wood is 1000.00 a cord. I better keep all of mine.

You can add a great work out processing firewood. Cancel that gym membership;lol

When you're figuring out how much you save, you can't count both the savings from not purchasing wood and the savings from not purchasing oil. Wood is substituting for oil. You would buy either wood or oil, but not both, or not enough of each for the whole winter. If a full winter's heat takes three cords of wood and $1000 worth of oil, then you saved $600 on wood and $3000 on oil, for a savings of $3,600 per year. If you ask how much the 12 cords of wood in the back yard is worth, I'd say it is worth the going price of $200 per cord, not the $10,000 it can save you on oil.

You are saving a bunch of money, but your calculations are biased in favor wood burning.

I think $200 per cord is a reasonable price for wood around here, but I don't check wood prices very often because I don't buy any wood.

Considering the price of fuel oil was around $3.85 a gallon last year, and a cord of kiln dried wood was $250, oil is more than double the price of wood. You are ahead of the game with wood, and get to have a house that is 5-8° warmer all winter.

Reactions: teutonicking
I have bought a six pack of the 2 cycle oil, but not saws. Since I brought it up and this is a thread about saving money, does anyone know where I can get the gallon jugs of the stihl 2 cycle oil so I can refill my singles?
Buy 2 cycle oil in quart bottles from your LAPS(local Auto Patrs Store) or walmart carries it. Remember many outboards use it. I have been buying Valvoline, but just about any brand will work even the cheap walmart branded Supertec
For oil info Bob Is the Oil Guy is the forum/place to go!

Kiln dried wood, is very high end $$
That's why I used it in figuring out the worst case price scenario. Seasoned cord wood costs between $160 and $200 on average this time of year. Scrounge, of course, is going to be free excepting time and labor. Oil is convenient, and so is delivered wood. Add in another $50 or $75 for stacking a cord and it is almost as convenient as oil, but still cheaper.

I'll admit I'm not much of a math guy, but I see what your saying about not saving an additional 2400 on wood beyond the 12,000 saved on oil.

But there's still good value out there in that pile.

Considering the price of fuel oil was around $3.85 a gallon last year, and a cord of kiln dried wood was $250, oil is more than double the price of wood. You are ahead of the game with wood, and get to have a house that is 5-8° warmer all winter.

Where are you getting kiln dried for 250? Let me know and I'll call them today.

On long island it is $600 or more per cord for Kiln dried!

Where are you getting kiln dried for 250? Let me know and I'll call them today.

On long island it is $600 or more per cord for Kiln dried!
I get it from a guy in Pawling NY. Too far to travel for him to deliver to you, though. I need some this season and am going to see what this year's price will be. Can't believe it is $600 out in LI. I've seen guys on the Internet that sell it at that price. They usually sell to the occasional fireplace burner, or restaurant. I can buy really seasoned wood that costs $425 a cord, but I'd rather have the kiln dried. Still have some left over from last year and it tested at 18% when I re split one last week. It has been rained on all summer.

I get it from a guy in Pawling NY. Too far to travel for him to deliver to you, though. I need some this season and am going to see what this year's price will be. Can't believe it is $600 out in LI. I've seen guys on the Internet that sell it at that price. They usually sell to the occasional fireplace burner, or restaurant. I can buy really seasoned wood that costs $425 a cord, but I'd rather have the kiln dried. Still have some left over from last year and it tested at 18% when I re split one last week. It has been rained on all summer.

This guy has a half cord at $322.75.

https://www.lifirewood.com/long-island-firewood.php

This guy has a face cord at $300

http://www.chillywindsfirewood.com/suffolkcounty.htm

I've gotten wood from this company last year. They are expensive, but no where near what those you put the links to charge. The wood is air dried and a pallet is a face cord. Their wood burns very well. http://www.georgehauser.com/

Until I can get three years ahead on scrounge alone I'll need to supplements with bought wood or Bio Bricks.

I've gotten wood from this company last year. They are expensive, but no where near what those you put the links to charge. The wood is air dried and a pallet is a face cord. Their wood burns very well. http://www.georgehauser.com/

Until I can get three years ahead on scrounge alone I'll need to supplements with bought wood or Bio Bricks.

They have a pretty nice set up. Wish I knew somebody like that out here.

Those prices are the reason I went with the bio-bricks. Sure would rather supplement with wood.

Those prices are the reason I went with the bio-bricks. Sure would rather supplement with wood.
BioBricks can help make less than perfect wood burnable. Keep searching Craigslist and other places to see who has wood that is either free or being sold at a reasonable price.

Remember many outboards use it.

WARNING - not all two stroke oil is created equal. Two stroke oil intended for water cooled engines should not be used in air cooled unless it specifically meets the air cooled specs.

Water cooled two strokes run cooler than their air cooled cousins. There could/will be a difference in ashy deposits if the oil is not being burned up properly.

but your calculations are biased in favor wood burning
Um,......your point?;)

If I had to buy wood for 600/cord, I'd use nat. gas, or cut my own. Oh wait, I do cut my own.

Logs delivered @$75/cord, and I average 2/3 cord/month, but supplement with stuff scrounged, so my cost for wood comes in around 35-40 bucks/month.
Natty gas is considerably more than that and would run about $150/month, average, maybe probably more. Oh, and I'd get to pay taxes on the gas too.
Gotta work for the firewood, need to go to work to pay for the gas, oil, elec. bill.
Stove came with the house, so did the splitter. Bought a CS.
I've used 'em all for 6-7 years, and will continue to do so. At that rate, my CS has cost $4.50/ month. The cost goes down the longer I use it.
Putting out all that money for woodburning paraphernalia,......do you only burn for a single winter, then put everything away for 30 years?
No wonder there's no savings, when it's calc'd that way.
I'm confuzzled by all the confuzzlement.

Um,......your point?;)

If I had to buy wood for 600/cord, I'd use nat. gas, or cut my own. Oh wait, I do cut my own.

For 600 a cord, you could buy kiln dried Doug Fir 2x4s new at Home Depot and still come out ahead. 600 a cord is 0.40 a board foot, and you can buy 2x4 for like 2.85 each, which is around 0.60 a board foot. However, since the 2x4 is nice and square, it will fill the whole pile with no air space, whereas a stacked pile is still at least 1/3 air, I would think. Plus, no stacking or splitting required. Just cut to length with a chop saw and go.

what if you get "paid" to gather your firewood? ;hm Adds a whole other factor to the equation, eh?;)

I am also getting paid to get fire wood. People are scared of wild fires and paying good money to have the trees removed from their property. It has also helped that some insurance companies are handing out cancellation notices from their insurance companies if they don't mitigate their property. >>

Status
Not open for further replies.