Surround kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John_S

Sep 29, 2007
Ann Arbor, MI
Hello,

I have a Hearthstone Homestead located in front of our fireplace and have been considering adding the surround kit. The Hearthstone website states that the surround will increase efficiency. Does anyone know if this is true? Would another material make it more efficient? Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,

John

Presumably the surround would just act like a block off plate and therefore you won't lose as much heat up the chimney. You could probably do the same with a block off plate but the surround kit probably looks more "custom" for that stove etc, I'm guessing?

Hey John,
I've got the Homestead with the surround (see pics/review here: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/48448/). I've never used it without, since I needed it to make clearances. I like the way it looks better than I thought I would. As for efficiency, it has louvers on the sides and top that sit into the opening a bit--I'm assuming these direct heat into the room and away from the surrounding area. The only heat that seems like it would make it up the chimney would be off the piping and the small portion of steel that sticks out the back. Let me know if you've any other questions.

S

Status
Not open for further replies.