1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Surround overlap on a Regency 2400 Insert

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by blackhawkdriver, Jan 6, 2013.

1. blackhawkdriver

blackhawkdriver New Member

Loc:
    Colchester, CT
    So I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a stove (the wife's ready to let me to be more accurate) . I was pretty sure on a PE Super, but discovered a place in town the sells stoves (so much for my situation awareness). Looked at a regency 2400 insert, and was really impressed, and the price is significantly less than the PE. One thing that was a plus was that I could get by with a standard surround vs the over-sized on the PE. I'm pretty sure that's it's just aesthetics, but I'd like to avoid a oversize surround (I don't like the big flat panels). My question is will a 1/4" overlap on a surround be sufficient? I think it will be irrelevant based on the fact that some people remove their surrounds completely, but want to be sure.

Also, I've read good things about the rRgency i2400 insert, but any recent opinions? Especially from Eastern, CT?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    All that surround does is hide the hole that used to be an open fire place. If a 1/4" covers that gap, that's fine.
  3. chazcarr

chazcarr Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Wolcott, CT
    I have the Regency, it is a pretty good stove, but make sure you buy a second set of firebricks for it. They are brittle and easily snapped when loading. You also have to keep the chimney really clean, it slows way down when soot starts building up.

Overall I recommend it, the only problem I have is finding reliable wood dealers.
  4. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    Unless he is running it as a slammer and needs the larger overlap so that it helps keep the smoke out!!!
  5. KB007

KB007 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ottawa, Canada
    We have an i3100 and really like it. The surround is just cosmetic. I originally toyed with the idea of leaving it off and then we decided to install it a few weeks later.