1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

sweetgum for smoking

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by brian89gp, Dec 17, 2012.

1. brian89gp

brian89gp Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Kansas City
    Been burning a lot of sweetgum, and have noticed that the smoke has a very appealing smell to it. Has anybody had experience smoking with it? Searching on google shows a bunch of polar opposite opinions between never under any circumstances use it to people that use it all the time. The ones that say never to use it usually mention that they couldn't get it to burn, so I'm wondering if they are trying to burn it green and just giving up on it.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I have never used it, but I have burned a little before. It is possibly THE worst splitting wood out there, so getting it processed down to smoker sized chunks would take some effort. It also burns really hot and really quick, which aren't ideal for smoking...but you probably know this already having burned it.

There's only one way to find out...;) You could start by grilling a few pork chops over some coals to get the idea of the flavor...worst case scenario you are out a few bucks and an hour of your time if they taste like burnt tires.
  3. Hearth Mistress

Hearth Mistress Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pt Pleasant, PA (SE PA)
    I haven't used it but have a restaurant locally that does and swears by it. It can get bitter a lot faster than other smokes but they chip it up and soak it in apple cider or sprite for awhile to slow the fast burn time. Whatever you smoke, it wont take long but trial and error will be your true test, let me inow how you make out as I'm always up for something new. I bought Jack Daniel chips over the summer, actual pieces of whiskey barrels, that are just amazing as it smokes and tastes just as good. Best of Luck to you with this experiment!