System Layout. Any thoughts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stlshrk

Mar 4, 2008
VA
WB is to be an Eko 40.
Our shop is 60 feet from the woodshed where the boiler will be located.
The house is 90 feet out in a different direction.
Try as I wanted to avoid using three circs it appears that I will have too much head in the system to do it otherwise. Also there is a bit of elevation difference between the planned shop hx location and the house loads in the basement.

I'm still in the purchasing stage so there is time to change any large issues that can be seen. The woodshed is under construction & I'm buying the other components as I can. The boiler gets ordered next week if we make enough shed progress this weekend...

Oh yeah, I apologize for the bad pic.

Thanks

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 369
If this is a closed loop system, the elevation has nothing to do with the head loss. Once the system is filled and pressurized the circ just moves the fluid around. The water coming down, over comes the water going up.

Imagine a ferris wheel and watch how they load one. They load cars across from one another so the people on the down side lift those going up. Very little HP is needed to spin the wheel. Same concept with water in a closed loop system.

One small piping change would turn the buffer tank into a hydro separator and balance out the hydraulics. By having seperate connection points the pumps will not interfere with one another or be in series.

Here is a link that explains how that all works and why it is important.
www.caleffi.us/en_US/caleffi/Details/News/files/01076_na.pdf

Without knowing flow rates it is hard to predict how much will flow from the boiler to the system, and how much will end up through the tank and directly back to the boiler. A battle of hp and flow resistance :)

hr

Thanks hr,

That doesn't seem too difficult either. I'll have to see how many connections are on the top and bottom of the tank I'm getting & I'd imagine that I'll need to cut a few new holes and weld some connections. That's no problem though. Break out the ole Lincoln MIG!

Status
Not open for further replies.