system temeratures?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kuribo

Feeling the Heat
Dec 10, 2007
SW WI
I am wondering what people with storage tanks and in-floor radiant heat are getting for system temps??? For example, what are your supply in and out temps from your boiler to your tank, your supply out and return from your tank to your infloor system, and what is the temp range you run your storage tank at (example, do you let it drop to 120F then recharge to 180F or???)....Any info would be much appreciated...

My temp going to the tank from the boiler is whatever the boiler temp is, ususally 170-190, sometimes lower if the boiler went out. I have an aquastat on the boiler that sends water to the tank at 160 or above. Return temp is whatever the tank temp is. Radiant heat water is usually around 120.

My tank fluctuates between 145 and 185, depending on heat load and when the boiler was last fired. My backup gas boiler will kick on when tank temp hits 130.

Hope this helps,
Reggie

Thanks-that is informative...

Could you clarify one point: you mention that the tank is usually 145-185, but also say that the radiant water is usually around 120...are you mixing the tank water with cold water to drop the temp from 145-185 to 120???

to go into a radiant floor you need to drop the temp to around 120 so they say you wont crack the concrete. yes you use a mixing valve to drop the temp going into the concrete floor. now if your talking about radiant for a wood floor that is say on the second floor not the basement concrete floor i don't think you need to do any temp drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.