T connector and cleanout

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clark77

Jan 11, 2015
NJ
with the real good possibility of me getting a new stove in the future, I'm looking at what I will need besides the stove. really all I will need is a T connector and cleanout to connect to my existing 6" stainless liner (I may possibly need a damper but we'll see).
I was figuring that I would just get a black pipe T connector but I was talking to someone yesterday and they mentioned that I should get a stainless T connector due to the black pipe not lasting long.
so what is it, does the black pipe rot out and should I find a stainless T connector or just go with the black pipe?

If it is out in the open and can be checked easily you can use black pipe if it is hard to access you should use stainless.

it will be out in the open. my fireplace opening is 46" wide by 32" tall. how long should the black pipe last? aesthetically, I would prefer the black pipe over the shiny stainless anyway. do they make black stainless?

it will be out in the open. my fireplace opening is 46" wide by 32" tall. how long should the black pipe last? aesthetically, I would prefer the black pipe over the shiny stainless anyway. do they make black stainless?
Then you should be fine with black pipe if you prefer that. The durability of black pipe will depend on the quality of the pipe how hot it gets and the humidity level of the house in the off season as well as many other variables. You can get black painted stainless or you can just buy some stove paint and paint it what ever you want.

You don't think the stove paint will flake off the stainless with the heat? Sounds like a good option though

You don't think the stove paint will flake off the stainless with the heat? Sounds like a good option though
Not if you use the stuff made for stainless we do it all the time. And we have used the regular paint plenty of times with good results the regular stuff does scratch off easier though

What's the stainless stuff called

High temp paint for stainless lol. There are a couple brands that make it just search on line it will come up i am sure

High temp paint for stainless lol. There are a couple brands that make it just search on line it will come up i am sure

ok thanks. just figured you would know a specific brand that you used and worked well for you. thanks for all your input.
one last question, does the T connector just press fit into the back of the stove or does it get secured somehow?

It needs to be screwed fast and i am pretty sure we use stove brite brand but i dont remember

I'm assuming there's specific screws as well or just short sheet metal screws will do?

I'm assuming there's specific screws as well or just short sheet metal screws will do?
We use 1" stainless self tappers at the stove collar normally but anything that is long enough to grab will work

As long as they are stainless so you don't have dissimilar metals corrosion between the pipe and the screws.

If you use a double wall stove pipe the inner pipe is stainless while the outer often retains the traditional black pipe look. It lasts far longer than single wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.