T minus 2 and counting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodzilla

Hearth Supporter
Dec 23, 2007
Mid-Michigan
Temps outside -2. Temps inside 74 ish. I love scavenging, splitting stacking and burning. I am looking forward to springtime temps coming in. Is that blasphemous?

woodzilla said:
Temps outside -2. Temps inside 74 ish. I love scavenging, splitting stacking and burning. I am looking forward to springtime temps coming in. Is that blasphemous?

I agree. My desire to fight the cold is beginning to wane. Lets get some warm weather in here.

thanks Rockey. Glad to know i'm not the only one. ( at least willing to admit it)

It hit 60 here today. Tied the record. Warmth is coming.

I'm not quite there but probably will be in a month when my well seasoned wood runs out and I only have my not quite dry wood left.

As Bart put it in another post. This is the time of year when heating with wood becomes a pain in the a**.

Tell me I'm not the only one who is still loving Winter . . . I am most definitely not ready for it to end since I still have plenty of places that I want to ride to on my sled and I still have plenty of wood left.

That said . . . I am in the process of trying to figure out where to go in a few weeks with my wife . . . somewhere warm where there are palm trees . . . just to escape the cold for a bit.

I don't know that I would say I 'love' gathering, splitting, stacking - it just beats paying a couple hundred $$ to the gas co every month. The fire is always nice, but nothing beats a nice warm spring day.

I'm not tired of burning wood, but I'm ready for it to end. It was 2° here last night, but it's going to start a warming trend today and the temps will be above freezing for at least 4 days.
I can't wait to get outside, I got things to do.
I'm actually looking forward to cutting grass too.

this is the best time of the year...... i guess i like snow and winter just hate freezing rain and ice storms.... however i hate spring as it tends to rain alot....
summer is great except i can't stand bugs.... any kind ..... there isn't one that makes me happy.... fall is great bugs start going away leaves turning color reasonable temps.... winter air is usually always good to breathe snow .. holidays n so forth...... don't get me wrong... every season has its drawbacks but those damn bugs drive me nuts!!! i love to bbq/ cook on the grill ... but those bugs always wanna try to crash land on food!! mesquitos always want blood! thats the stuff that drives me nuts ..... now i gotta worry about seeing a snake in the wood pile I HATE SNAKES!!!!! ahhh forget it!! gimme 12 more weeks of winter!! now i believe the worst is past us.. as temps will start to fluctuate alot more for feb and march my guess is early spring... hot summer and mild winter for much of the US next year... but more ice storms for central and mid atlantic next year.... that is gonna be our global warming people!
as the sea level gets higher more moisture for us!!!

They're predicting rain here this weekend...and that's a warming sign for around here. Also the rain will help compact the snow so I can tractor over it sooner rather than later.

iceman said:
this is the best time of the year...... i guess i like snow and winter just hate freezing rain and ice storms.... however i hate spring as it tends to rain alot....
summer is great except i can't stand bugs.... any kind ..... there isn't one that makes me happy.... fall is great bugs start going away leaves turning color reasonable temps.... winter air is usually always good to breathe snow .. holidays n so forth...... don't get me wrong... every season has its drawbacks but those damn bugs drive me nuts!!! i love to bbq/ cook on the grill ... but those bugs always wanna try to crash land on food!! mesquitos always want blood! thats the stuff that drives me nuts ..... now i gotta worry about seeing a snake in the wood pile I HATE SNAKES!!!!! ahhh forget it!! gimme 12 more weeks of winter!! now i believe the worst is past us.. as temps will start to fluctuate alot more for feb and march my guess is early spring... hot summer and mild winter for much of the US next year... but more ice storms for central and mid atlantic next year.... that is gonna be our global warming people!
as the sea level gets higher more moisture for us!!!

The groundhog begs to differ, and there's been lots of research showing he's generally quite a bit more accurate than our "scientific" weather predictions. I DON'T think, however, that he's more accurate than the Farmer's Almanac.

Our temps. have been totally unpredictable this winter. Only a few really cold days and then up into the 40's. I am no fan of 'hard' winters but this year it doesn't feel like we have had winter yet. Feels more like late fall weather.

What I miss is a good strong fire that I can burn all day. I do love tending my fires. I get to build one it the morning and then I let it burn down otherwise we get too warm. For the past 2 days I haven't even needed a fire in the evening. Today it is supposed to be in the 60's again.

I am not a summer fan due to the heat. Used to be cooler here but have been having way more hot and dry days for the past several years. Now heat just makes me want to go to sleep so I end up feeling like a zombie. Don't want to install a swamp cooler so last summer I just got several Vornado fans and that did make a difference.

I truly am sorry for all of you who have been hit hard and heavy this winter. I do know that is no fun because it happened to us several years ago and everything was just so much harder to deal with.

As Robert Frost said about life, "It goes on."

firefighterjake said:
Tell me I'm not the only one who is still loving Winter . . .

I'm enjoying the fine skiing this winter with my daughter....and I still have wood left to burn. -10 to -20 tonight is a pain, but after that cold spell in January, it's all relative.

woodzilla said:

Probably not for people who experience really bad winters. I have to admit that I didn't enjoy the cold weather until I bought my stove. As much as I enjoy the Spring and Summer, I am not anxious for the cold weather to end. How great is that to be able to enjoy all seasons equally?

Status
Not open for further replies.