T vs connecting flex liner to back of stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually the way you are going to install that F100 you will be better off running the liner into a stove adapter in the back of the stove or into a 30 degree or 15 degree stainless elbow attached to the back of the stove. The reason being that you can then clean the chimney the way I do on the 30-NC in my fireplace by dropping a rope down the liner into the stove and then pulling a brush down and into the stove since the baffle in that stove is a snap to remove. That way you don't have to move the stove to take off a tee cap and put it back on. A 15 degree would be best because it is easier to pull the brush through the turn.

You just have to make sure the baffle is back in just right. I know. One morning I went down to the basement office and found the baffle laying flat on top of the coals. Whoops!. :ahhh:

Edit: And you might want to think about top venting the stove with a 30 degree elbow in the top of the stove. It will look better than that snake behind your stove and make the cleaning even easier.

That is a stove adapter. That is the piece you would need to go into the back or the top of the stove. But you are going to learn that "flex" is a relative term. The stuff isn't real easy to turn corners with.

If you have room back there to make a turn radius that doesn't crimp the liner but you will have a very sharp turn for that brush to make pulling it through.

You just have to get the liner in and see for yourself how you want to do it. My only other piece of for whatever it's worth advice is if you are going to be moving that stove in and out go down to the hardware store and get some of those sliders for moving furniture. And each time you move it tilt it and put one under each leg. That is too pretty a tiling job you two did to muck it up sliding that stove in and out. Those stove legs will destroy that tile finish.

get a tee.. the $70 will be worth it when you go to clean it out

BrotherBart said:
you can then clean the chimney the way I do on the 30-NC in my fireplace by dropping a rope down the liner into the stove and then pulling a brush down and into the stove since the baffle in that stove is a snap to remove.

I apologize for the thread-jack, but what is the 'inside' setup used with this method to prevent particulate from entering the living space? I'm concerned about wear-and-tear from the metal couplers on my flex-rods given the geometry of my liner, and this seems the ideal alternative.

DeePee said:
BrotherBart said:
you can then clean the chimney the way I do on the 30-NC in my fireplace by dropping a rope down the liner into the stove and then pulling a brush down and into the stove since the baffle in that stove is a snap to remove.

I apologize for the thread-jack, but what is the 'inside' setup used with this method to prevent particulate from entering the living space? I'm concerned about wear-and-tear from the metal couplers on my flex-rods given the geometry of my liner, and this seems the ideal alternative.

I was worried about that too the first time. The soot drops into the firebox and every time I have done it we have not observed anything coming out of the firebox into the room. Well, except the mess on the hands pulling the rope. The reason may be my tall flues and natural draft. If I brush from the top I am in a cloud of fine soot the whole time from it coming up out of the liners and have to wear a good filtered mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.