T5/T6 BTUs ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian VT

Minister of Fire
Jul 30, 2008
Southern VT
My ($450) VC Resolute has been great for my 1st year burning and learning.
We've decided that a larger stove wouldn't blow us out of the room and plan to upsize someday.
I like the looks of, and the reviews I've read here, on the Alderleas.
VC claims my Resolute max BTU is 40K. I went right to the T6 on their site and HOLY SMOKE ! I don't think we could handle 97K !
The T5 seems about the same size as my Resolute but claims 72K. What's up ? T5 or T6 for me ?
Truth be told, my wife likes soapstone and she may try to drag me that way but I dunno if I wanna switch to a cat. stove.

Yeah, don't rely on the manufactures numbers, go by the firebox size. The T-5 would be closer to your old stove. Your wife sounds like a smart woman, take her advice and look at Woodstock, my wife loves ours.

If the Resolute is doing a great job sizewise, then I think the T5 should work out ok. Our neighbor went from the Resolute to the PE Spectrum and has been quite happy.

FWIW, either would probably work. It really depends on how much space you're heating and the house floor plan, insulation and windows. I'm heating a 2000 sq ft house in a mild climate with the T6. It has never been too hot for us in the living room where the stove is located. Though I doubt I'll ever see that 97K potential with softwoods, it has gone up close to 800 with a full load of wood. The stove doesn't radiate the way the Resolute does, except from the front. It convects it gently instead.

edit: My wife doesn't like the look of soapstone stoves for our house, so it wasn't an option. Considering you are in Woodstock's backyard and they have a 6 month trial period, I'd certainly look at them closely too.

Is my wife on the other line with you 2 ? LOL !
Yeah, We probably will take a ride over and see the Woodstocks.
That, or my neighbor has a VC Defiant non-cat. sitting outside that I can have. I could rebuild that from the ground up with no time constraints.
I just like the Alderleas for some reason. I really like the Harmon Oakwood too but it's about the same size as what I've got.

Status
Not open for further replies.