T6 and Summit Owners: Does EBT work?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
When I first heard about EBT, I figured it was just a marketing gimmick but did some research today and it actually sounds cool.

So, does it work?

It would seem that it would give you a more even stove temp over more of the life of the burn. Is that correct?

BeGreen tested extensively with the EBT on his T6 and then blocked it off. My take on his tests and some other testimony is that it allows PE to pass the EPA test with a stove that you can still control as opposed to the unrestricted primary air openings in other stoves. Which is a good thing but useless in everyday use.

Hopefully BG will come along to elaborate on or dispel this.

I say yes.
I don't think is is as much for EPA compliance. Without mine working, and the flapper not covering the hole, it was burning hot. Not much bad stuff coming out at those temps.
After a few seasons of semi-uncontrollable firing. And a few repairs this past fall.
I took the EBT box off and found the flapper not set in its proper position. It was not in place and allowing air to flow constantly.
Now I have almost exact control with the air lever due to no additional air at start up & up to temp burning. Then I just slide the lever to fine adjust how hot I want her to run.
I used to go through approx 1 cord every 3 weeks. So far, this last loading of my wood manger out back of the porch, I am getting just over 2 weeks from 1/3 cord.
And no "run where she wants" fires. Now sure I have more control, and not burning as hot. Still loading every 8-10 hours depending on the temps outside. Usually 3x a day.
Warmer days, smaller loads, still 8 hrs on a decent load.
So my results are from 1 cord every 3 weeks, to 1/3 cord every 2 weeks and even a few days longer. I'd say thats a drastic difference& attribute it to the EBT. It is burning more steadily at a steadier temp also.
It will cruise at anywhere from 500-650 for hours steadily, just depends how much I set the leaver open or closed. I contribute the savings & the steadier & more even burning to the EBT doing its job finally. Once I got it set in and working correctly. Of course I am burning hard woods. Not the soft stuff BG is stuck choosing from. The east has its advantages.

All attributable to you being able to control the burn Hog. Just like when I blocked the EPA holes on the 30-NC. That EBT ain't ever opening or closing at the temps you run now.

Hog, BB has it right. You had an open hole that now at least has a thermostatically controlled damper in it. That has to be a lot better.

I'm not sold on the EBT because I would like it to function at a lower temp only. Instead it seems to be more of an EPA regulation device to assure complete burn when there is a large load of wood gassing off intensely. But that seems to lead to some exceptional stove temps under the right conditions and faster wood consumption. That's not ideal for me. I'm still poking at this one because it is less a problem with a blower as I've discovered, but possible with a non-blower stove. Ideally I'd like the EBT to feed more air when the fire is starting up or dying down and then stay shut. But that is not the way it's designed. So it seems to be me vs the govt. Ah well,what's new? :) Anyhow, the simpler I make this stove the more I like it. YMMV.

In the spirit of full disclosure, our ashpan system is not used and EBT is not currently used and the air control has been adjusted to allow fuller closure. We get nice long burns and no surprises, even with very full wood loads. But I just got the blower and can see that really does influence stove temps and therefore I assume EBT behavior. It could be that on stoves like Hog's that normally have the blower running, that the EBT works very well. I have not tested extensively with the EBT enabled and the blower running due to our record breaking January temps. More to come here I'm sure.

I agree on the wanting it to open at lower temps to add more air when its really needed.
I am just happy with the fact I am saving so much wood now. Due to it being closed and not open full time.
I can't fathom after 3 seasons of 3 week cords, now I am getting over 2 weeks out of a1/3 cord.
My manger with the rack in front of it holds about 1-1/3 cords. At this rate it looks like maybe 8 weeks for the manger & rack full.
I am not quite sure yet, but have been keeping a mental eye on it. I am hoping not to have to reload the manger & rack till March now.
I only on my second filling since end of November. What a difference. I think I loaded it 4 or 5 times last year, but also wasn't using the rack every time.
The manger holds 2/3 cords or 16" to 18" splits. Still burning alot less. With any luck I'll have a 2 or 3 cords left over for next year. Lord knows this hernia already has me behind big time.

I took my ash tray out to look at the EBT. I see a hole with a washer(?) covering it. It reminds me of an electrical box. You pop the washer out to put the wires into the box. It almost looks like the washer should be popped out? I also noticed a hole in the end of the air lever that you use to control the air flow into the stove box. It almost looks like it is to have a spring or wire hooked up to it to control something else???
Is this what everyone else's looks like?
Thanks for the info.

There is a damper plate that acts as a valve on the other side of the hole one sees on the underside of the EBT. If you push up on that plate it will give and lift open, but should spring back closed as soon as you stop pushing up on it. Here's a link to a thread and a video of what is happening on the other side of that hole in the EBT.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/34393/P22/#367394

The air intake is a very simple closure plate on a pivot. The last thing one would want on this is a spring. The idea is for it to stay exactly where it is set and not spring further closed or open.

Looks like its working....Great video/demonstration BeGreen, i'm sure many will appreciate you taking the time to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.