taco pump instalation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

henfruit

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Taco says to mount their pumps horizontal.I have seen some mounted vertical. Will vertical affect operation or performance. Thanks Henfruit

I believe it's the motor cartridge they want horizontal. ie: cartridge can't be on top or below. The other item to look at is, can you mount electronics so if water happens to drip it won't go inside electronic enclosure. Have wires feed from bottom etc.....

I can attest to the fact that mounting a Taco pump in the wrong orientation will result in pump problems. I installed one in the wrong orientation, knew about it before I went live with my system, but wanted to see if "it really mattered". Pump started failing in less than one heating season. After a few months it started making all kinds of racket, sometimes wouldn't start turning on it's own, ran hot, etc etc...

On the Taco "00-VS' series they have a "if you really have to mount it vertical" note about the pressure being a minumum of 20PSI at all times. I would mount it horizontal like my 011 boiler circulator.

That's not very accommodating. Geeez ! LOL !

( Already had my nap ! )

Status
Not open for further replies.