1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Take a look at this pig and let me know what you think

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by bfmco7, Oct 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bfmco7

bfmco7 New Member

Loc:
    VA
    I have a 2200 square foot home, 1100 upstairs and 1100 downstairs. The basement stairs are located in the center of the house. The basement isnt finished or insulated. I need to heat the upstairs with this stove downstairs. What do you all think? This stove was left by the previous owners and it appears that they used it some time or another. Let me know what you think! Fire away!! I'll take all the pros and cons.

Yes I know that this thing is going to burn up a lot of wood and Im pretty sure that I could fit a 3 foot long LOG in it! haha

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. sebring

sebring Member

Loc:
    PA
    I remember that type of wood stove... Every morning I would have half a firebox of unburnt wood.
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It needs about 25# of ash removed for starters. As noted in the other thread, I would seriously consider modifying the baffle to be stiffer and insulated. And I would add a couple secondary tubes for reburn.

Nah, I would put in a decent stove.
  4. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Gonna put the same comment from your other thread...

Bad Fisher copy... With no sealing system for the door, your draft caps may not be needed.. Just got rid of an old 2 door Timberline.. Was originally in my Fathers house. Lots of heat. But a Wood hog..

I have seen worse homemade contraptions. It would fit well in a shop or a "Container Cabin" (emergency shelter) .

You could get by using it. But not being listed with any CTC (clearance to combustibles) you may have a hard time with your insurance agent.
  5. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    PIG, I say.....

Only if it was my last resort in a log cabin in the Yukon...or to heat the old hunting camp in Maine....not in my home.....
  6. coaly

coaly Fisher Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    NE PA
    It's a Behr Stove.
    (The insulation belongs on top of the baffle)
    You can use it for getting rid of the furniture they left behind too. Then sell it on ebay as a "Rare Fisher Stove" for $800.
  7. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.