Taking down Red Maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ValleyCottageSplitter

Feeling the Heat
Dec 11, 2016
Rockland Co, NY
I have some more free wood from the previous storm but need to figure out how to get it down... Conveniently right above my wood stacks.

I debranched all the bottom, then was able to notch and slowly lower down two 4ft logs. Unfortunately it is still about 14"x20'+ tall, now 1" from my oak stack. I tied about 8' up and tried pulling by hand; I could only give it a little shake.

Anyone see a convenient option? It's not too accessible except by foot.

It's leaning up against a large maple in range of my house. I'd prefer to get all the pressure off the living one (and get a little firewood at the same time).

Attachments

• 20180318_173642.jpg
    20180318_173642.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 284
If you can’t get a tractor there to pull it with a chain or cable. Something like a come along https://m.harborfreight.com/8000-lb-cable-winch-puller-69855.html?utm_referrer=direct/not provided would probably work. You need to pull it off of that tree to where it will fall safely.
Ah man, just blew $100 on a chain and rope for some other wood...not excited about spending another $30. And no, I can't get my truck back there. Do you think a normal ratchet strap could be enough to winch it? It's really not too big. About 14"x8' then quickly tapering to about 4"x10'. Maybe I will try once more using a weighted rope to see if I can get it a bit higher. I was tossing the chain up there last time.

A heavy duty ratchet strap would maybe work If it’s long enough to give you a strong anchor point. Like a 1500+lb strap. Just be careful about it breaking depending on the strength of your strap. You won’t have as much leverage either, but It might work.

If your rope is long enough and you have an anchor point below, you could get a snatch block and redirect above the woodpile to tractor/truck/winch.

If your rope is long enough and you have an anchor point below, you could get a snatch block and redirect above the woodpile to tractor/truck/winch.
Hmm that is interesting. I'm not sure how to get a snatch block up above the pile. There is only the tree that is leaned on.

Basically hoist up the maple log? I have a 100' 1/2" rope.

I'll definitely think about that one.

Hmm that is interesting. I'm not sure how to get a snatch block up above the pile. There is only the tree that is leaned on.

Basically hoist up the maple log? I have a 100' 1/2" rope.

I'll definitely think about that one.

The snatch block would go down hill or where ever you want the tree to be pulled to/fall. Then the rope will redirect to a safe area where a truck/tractor or winch would be for pulling.

Put the rope as high as you can in your maple top and let it pivot on the ground. If you have the power then you could pull the bottom out and let it fall, probably on your woodpile.

Get the ratchet strap as tight as you can, then push sideways on the center of the taut strap to generate more pull. Only works if the strap is very taut.

I'd use another small log or a 4x4 as a pry bar and pull the bottom out.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Thanks for the tips... I ended up testing the strength of the oak stack and it held up. Put a hinge another 8' up, then tied it to my Ridgeline to crack the hinge from a distance. After that I put a hinge to bend it back toward the stack. I could pull it by hand. Repeated 3 times and slowly brought the rest of it down.

Not the easiest score but got it all finished and split in about 3 hours. Tooks some time to rip off loads of vines and branches. Looks like just under 1/4 cord with all the junk pieces tossed.

Attachments

• 20180325_172731.jpg
    20180325_172731.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 20180325_181549.jpg
    20180325_181549.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 134
Reactions: Chuck the Canuck