taking the plunge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pigu98

Mar 5, 2008
Southwest Va
Hello,
I have been coming and checking out the advice and information on this forum for a while and I am in the middle of taking the plunge into installing a stove and relining my chimney. I am hoping to get some advice/opinions on my plan. My house has a brick chimney from the 1940's running up the center of it that was used for a coal stove and then an oil furnace. Now I have a heat pump and no appliances are hooked up to the chimney. At some point the chimney was relined with clay. The masonry chimney is right up against the roof deck where it passes through the roof and the height of the chimney from the living room where I plan to install the stove is about 12 feet. The flue size is 11" by 6 1/4". The chimney was drywalled in in the living room until I removed the drywall and framed the opening. Now, the 20 1/2" wide chimney has an opening that is 25" wide and 84" high in front of it with 9" from the wall opening to the chimney. So my 1st draft plan is to line the chimney with oval Duravent double wall liner so that I can have 0" clearance of the chimney to combustibles(the roof deck), and then use Simpson DVL stove pipe from the stove to a steel thimble. The DVL pipe is 7" in diameter and listed for 6" clearance to combustibles. 6+6+7=19" so my thinking is that I would have plenty of clearance in my 25" by 84" opening. So my questions are: 1. Does this plan make sense/look safe to people who know more and have more experience? 2. If what I've written isn't clear please feel free to correct me/ ask for clarification. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Jim

hello pigu98 all I'll comment on is that the friends of mine that have a chimney in the center of their house never have any draft issues or problems. we can all open the stove door any time and the fire goes right up the flue with absolutely no smoke entering the house.

As far as the code requirements of your intended liner set up goes...that's a skill level above mine. Good luck someone here will know for sure so just keep checking back.

I'm a little confused. Why would you use a double-wall pipe to line an existing chimney? Based on the measurements of 11" x 6.25", DVL pipe won't fit the inside the stack. Normally you would use a stainless liner down the chimney to the thimble, then a 90 connected to a short run of double-wall in the living room. The biggest issue seems to be the short 12 ft. chimney. With a pair of elbows added, it may draft poorly unless height can be added to the top.

But I am also having problems visualizing what has been done already and why. Do you really mean you opened up the chimney or that the drywall has been removed and the face of the chimney is now exposed for 25" x 84"? If you can post a picture, that would probably explain a lot.

begreen he is going with an oval liner. then from the liner with DVL to the stove. if I understood correctly

be green ,

I think that he took the drywall down from in front of the chimney,
not opened up the chimney.

pigu98 said:
Hello,
I have been coming and checking out the advice and information on this forum for a while and I am in the middle of taking the plunge into installing a stove and relining my chimney. I am hoping to get some advice/opinions on my plan. My house has a brick chimney from the 1940's running up the center of it that was used for a coal stove and then an oil furnace. Now I have a heat pump and no appliances are hooked up to the chimney. At some point the chimney was relined with clay. The masonry chimney is right up against the roof deck where it passes through the roof and the height of the chimney from the living room where I plan to install the stove is about 12 feet. The flue size is 11" by 6 1/4".
The chimney was drywalled in in the living room until I removed the drywall and framed the opening. Now, the 20 1/2" wide chimney has an opening that is 25" wide and 84" high in front of it with 9" from the wall opening to the chimney.
So my 1st draft plan is to line the chimney with oval Duravent double wall liner so that I can have 0" clearance of the chimney to combustibles(the roof deck), and then use Simpson DVL stove pipe from the stove to a steel thimble. The DVL pipe is 7" in diameter and listed for 6" clearance to combustibles. 6+6+7=19" so my thinking is that I would have plenty of clearance in my 25" by 84" opening. So my questions are: 1. Does this plan make sense/look safe to people who know more and have more experience? 2. If what I've written isn't clear please feel free to correct me/ ask for clarification. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Jim

"""iN FRONT OF IT"""

Hi pigue,

What stove do you intend to install???

Thanks to everyone for replying. The duravent liner is a steel liner that is double walled and insulated to go inside the chimney to reline it. The DVL stove pipe goes from the stove to the thimble. I attached an image of the exposed chimney with the opening. I hope the picture help.

Attachments

• exposed chimney.jpg
    exposed chimney.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 272
Got it. That's what I thought was meant, but best to check and be sure. Can I assume you mean 6" ID DVL pipe too?

With 2 90s and a 12 ft stack, not many stoves are going too draft well. What is the stove? That will determine the clearances and draft tolerance. It looks like the chimney is just off the hallway? Is the hearth going to be centered on the chimney or offset?

BeGreen, those are good questions. Yes that is the hallway. The stove will be a jotul f 602 cb with 6"dvl (7" outside diameter) pipe. I am trying to decide about offsetting the stove, if I do the electrical outlet you can see in the picture to the left of the rough opening has to go. The short chimney is one of the reasons I want to line the chimney for a smaller insulated flue to improve the draft.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.