I've been burning our new Heritage stove for a few weeks now and feel like I've learned a lot. Now that I have a handle on how temps are affected (I have a stovetop thermometer), I'm starting to watch my chimney pipe for when smoke is visible coming out. I understand that's bad and is sometimes the fault of "smoldering". I know smoldering can promote creosote. How do people avoid it? It seems inevitable to me. Specifically: 1) What do you do on those long overnight burns? Eventually after hours the flames flicker out and there's just coals left to smolder away, right? 2) On overnight burns, it seems like a lot of people turn their air control all the way off. When i do that after a good raging flaming fire, it seems like I get a lot longer burn (wood lasts longer), but the flames wither out quicker and I'm assuming the logs in there "smolder". 3) Maybe I just don't know the right procedures for running my stove, but when I finish burning a load and my stove is up around 450 or so, I let it cool down some before adding more wood. I don't want to load it to the gills again and risk getting too high of temps when that takes off. So while I'm enjoying that 450 degree stove, there are no flames and just glowing coals, until temps come down and I feel comfortable loading it up again. Is this not the right way? Isn't this smoldering? Thanks.