Tank insulation progress

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

goosegunner

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 15, 2009
WI
I have been working on the tank enclosure insulation. Man I hope I never have to remove this tank.

I have 8" of foam under the tank.

Wrapped tank with 2 overlapping layers of R19.

Filled all other areas with R11 fiberglass that I grabbed of Craigslist. Floor to top of cover will be 66" with on crap load of insulation. I am putting in 2"X6"s in the joist hangers with foam board vapor barrier and OSB on the top. I planned on putting in fiberglass batts between 2"X6" cover but It may be over kill at this point. It would be over R65.

Big question was/is the vapor barrier. I put in on the Tank side of studs and then covered with 1.2" foam board. My concern is moisture in main building from snow on vehicles in winter.

I am going to cover the vapor barrier with cut pieces of 1.2" foam on the main building side (see picture of one finished piece.

gg

Attachments

• Tankpiping.jpg
    Tankpiping.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 328
  • Tankinsul1.jpg
    Tankinsul1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 299
  • Tankinsul2.jpg
    Tankinsul2.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 283
  • Tankenclosure.jpg
    Tankenclosure.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 310
  • Tankenclosure2.jpg
    Tankenclosure2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 322
  • Tankenclosure3.jpg
    Tankenclosure3.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 313
I also have 30" wide 2" thick R6 pole barn insulation that I could tape together to have a nice 60" blanket to lay over the whole thing before I put in 2X6 joists for cover. could have over R70 on the top. But I would have one more vapor barrier with the blanket.

Might seem like over kill but all of the foam on the floor was free. I the R11 from craigslist for $35, was from a 14'X60' wall. The 2 rolls of pole barn insulation were free.

gg

You'll never wish you put less insulation in....unless you have to go back in! Is that fiberglass insulation on the 1 1/4" copper? Looks great to me!

Yes another craigslist find I bought around 100' for $50. It is the 1-1/2" thick wall. I have it on my 1-1/2" boiler lines and 1-1/4" load lines.

gg

Thanks for this pics goose. Now that I have seen it you can leave as is for now, it will be fine, remember to score that plastic on the interior wall prior to closing it up.

Really nice install, taking your time & doing it right pays off again.

Frozen Canuck said:
Thanks for this pics goose. Now that I have seen it you can leave as is for now, it will be fine, remember to score that plastic on the interior wall prior to closing it up.

Really nice install, taking your time & doing it right pays off again.

Thanks for your time and compliments. I thought the pictures would help.

I looked up the foam and it is closed cell.

I might just cut the plastic now, as I finish the stud cavity foam pieces like the one pictured. I am cutting them close so they might be tough to remove later.

gg

Very nice GG. That tank is going to be nice and toasty warm. Putting all that heat where you need it. Will you use the space above the tank for storage of anything? I see lights up above in there. Are they permanent?

Gasifier said:
Very nice GG. That tank is going to be nice and toasty warm. Putting all that heat where you need it. Will you use the space above the tank for storage of anything? I see lights up above in there. Are they permanent?

Yes the area above will be for storage. I installed metal ceiling. The space ended up less than I wanted at 32" high but I wanted to maximize insulation.

The pipe coming out of the floor next to tank area is for a bathroom.

I set everything up with screws so I can remove if needed. The tank can be slid out the end wall.

In hind sight I should have put a big header in the inside wall that you see. That way I could easily remove the tank from the inside and the storage area would be more useful like a big shelf. Maybe next summer i will bust out the sawzall and some posts and put one in.

gg

The panel behind the ladder is 2X4 framing with 2 inches of foam on the tank side. I have a header in the 43" opening. The 43"X66" panel is held in with 4 screws and can be removed for access to the return end of the tank and fittings.

gg

Status
Not open for further replies.