Taping Seams for Heath

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcnu

Dec 1, 2006
Is there a special tape to use? I'm taping 1 seam on Micore 300 that will run almost directly beneath the middle of the stove.

I also planned to put hardibacker over the micore then tile it, but may need to only do the tile for proper height (trying to stay flush with floor) Some have said they've tiled directly on Micore - I have two 1/2 inch sheets so it's pretty rigid.

Bcnu, do you have room for a layer of cement board? If so, I'd suggest adding a layer before tile. It would really beef up the ridgidity and provide a better base for the tile imo. As for the seam, maybe some fiberglass tape and thinset? I'm not sure if this is the best suggestion. Hopefully others will chime in.

-Kevin

Any of the aluminum tapes will do the job just fine. The best would be the ones with a silicone adhesive since it is more heat resistent. Aluminum does not melt until something like 1,300 degrees.

Had a roll of fiberglass tape. Lit a match to a small piece and POOF, up in flames. Wouldn't expect that to happen with the stove but didn't like to possibility. I do have some aluminum tape. Thanks.

I bought 1/4 inch hardibacker but it will raise the tile above the floor. Without it I'm almost dead on. Is there any type of backer board that is 1/8 inch?

there is such a product called fire tape but if you span the seam with the hardybacker board why tape? then tile grouted over that I think you got it covered.

Might I make a suggestion take pictures of each phase of your construction and make a copy of the receit of the micor purchase Just incase any inspectors ask questions. or if you need some proof when dealing with the insurance Co plus usefull here for othere planning to build their own pads. So how is it going?

Elk, I planned to span the gap with the hardibacker. Now, after putting down the Micore I checked the remaining heigth and found that a 1/4" piece of marble tile fits perfectly. If I add the 1/4" hardibacker I'll be above the rest of the floor - which I'm trying to avoid. The Micore, hardibacker and tile should have done the job- but that's how remodeling goes sometimes :wow: That's why I was wondering if there is any type of a backer board that's 1/8". If not, I'm looking at tiling on the Micore.

As far as pictures you're right on. I'm taking pics of each step just in case the inspector is curious. Also keeping all the remodel bills so will have the Micore bill as well. I'll post pics of the whole thing, as well as new stove install.

Status
Not open for further replies.