1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

tarm leaking smoke

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by chuck172, Jan 11, 2013.

1. chuck172

chuck172 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sussex County, NJ
    My tarm solo 40 is leaking smoke when I first start up. The smoke is leaking in the front, rising out the top. Only when I start up, before I turn on the blower.
    The smoke isn't coming out the fan damper. It's coming out the front of the boiler.
    Is anyone else having this problem?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Rory

Rory Member

Loc:
    Central Me
    My Solo 30 has had that issue since it was brand new. I solved it by using a little pink fiberglass insulation as gasket material, teased out a little for fluff. I know it sounds hokey, but it has been working for several years.
  3. chuck172

Loc:
    Sussex County, NJ
    there must be something leaking on the front face of the boiler.I'm gonna have to take the cover off, both door frames have to be disasembled., and run it with no cover to see what the problem is.
  4. chuck172

Loc:
    Sussex County, NJ
    Hasn't anyone had or is having a smoke issue other than the door gaskets?
  5. flyingcow

flyingcow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern-half of maine
    Not on my innova, different unit.
  6. kopeck

kopeck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine
    Same here. It seals nice and tight.

I would call Tarm Biomass, I bet they can give you some pointers.

K
  7. flyingcow

flyingcow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern-half of maine

I agree
  8. McKraut

McKraut Member

Loc:
    South Central PA
    Chuck,

I ran into this this afternoon when I started the fire up (I burn oil for a few hours once a week to keep my nozzle clean). I noticed I have this problem only if I am just starting the boiler. My assumption was that it was caused because my fire wasn't hot enough to 1) burn the smoke produced and 2) it hadn't created a sufficient draft to pull the smoke down into the secondary combustion chamber. Even after replacing the gaskets on the door, I still have had the problem. My experience has always been that the smoking stops within a few minutes.
  9. bmblank

bmblank Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I would imagine the issue is caused by a pusher draft fan instead of one in the exhaust, like the new innovas. Once the draft gets going its fixed I'm sure.
  10. chuck172

Loc:
    Sussex County, NJ
    Once the draft does get going everything is o.k, but till then I can smoke myself out of my basement if I'm not careful.
    The smoke backs up through the fan shutter. The shutter isn't a positive seal, I've taken it apart, lubed it. It works properly, but it isn't designed to fully close. It should have been.