Tarm OT boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hayrack

Oct 28, 2008
central maine
I just purchased a Tarm OT 45 wood oil combo and was wondering if anyone had some good or bad input on the boiler. The manual came with it and there is no mention of OT 45. It list 28,35,50 and 70. My model number clearly says OT 45 and it is rated at 140,000 btu's wood or oil. It was manufactured in 1978. It has the original Becket 100crd burner. It had recently been serviced before it was taken out and they gave the oil a 79% eff rating. It has the domestic coil instead of tank.

My current system is a weil mcclain gold series 3 which is rated for 145,000 btu's. It is 9 years old and I have put about 300 gallons a year through it. I have an add on memco wood boiler also.

I am thinking about replacing both boilers with the tarm. What I am wondering is if I would be better off looking for a mb55 add on and keeping my current oil boiler, or should I just replace both of them with the OT 45 and have one unit instead of two. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Eric

Hayrack,

I have the OT35 and have owned it since 1978. I have replaced the Beckett with a Carlin but that is the only maintainance performed. It is a wonderful unit and I am just now hooking up 550 gallons of unpressurized storage.

There are several things I would check before committing to the boiler. Will Tarm in NH have parts for the OT45. It does seem like an unusual model. They still support mine. Also there is all this stuff about using the same flue for wood and oil, especially with insurance companies. My 35 was certified by the and carries a sticker. Perhaps yours does as well.

Bottom line is that they are rugged well designed units. Good luck.

Steve

Steve

In my research I found some information on the tarm site that said some of thr OT 50's were stamped wrong as OT 45's from the factory. I called and ordered some parts for an OT 50. Looks like I have a rare bird!

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.