1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Tarm Solo 40 running high pressure

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Reggie Dunlap, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Reggie Dunlap

Reggie Dunlap Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Vermont
    I've had my Tarm for 5 trouble free winters now, hooked up to 750 gallons of storage. Today it started running at 20-25 PSI for some reason, it's always been in the 10-15 PSI range. Nothing else has changed that I know of, other than it's 15 below right now.

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Floydian

Floydian Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southwestern VA
    Do you have a bladder expansion tank(s)? That would be the first thing I'd check. Or maybe an autofill gone wacky?

Noah
  3. Reggie Dunlap

Loc:
    Northern Vermont
    Yes I have an expansion tank. Could be the autofill, I guess I should shut the supply off to it.
  4. Reggie Dunlap

Loc:
    Northern Vermont
    I should also add that my storage is unpressurized.
  5. rcollman

rcollman Member

Loc:
    Northern NH
    Ditto the cold in Norhtern NH. It is now (noon) a balmy 0 outside up from -16.4 at 7:15 AM.

And ditto check the autofill. I seem to recall that happened to us in the first season. I got a small bucket with a handle. Turned off the autofill, and drew off some water out of the system next to my backup boiler. Alternatively you should have a pressure relief value, with a handle at the top and a pipe pointed to the floor, or into a drain. It will take less than 2 cups of HOT water out of the boiler to reduce the pressure.

I think I turned the autofill back on and the pressure did not build up again. Wrote it off to some installation grit keeping the valve open.

Stay warm!
  6. Reggie Dunlap

Loc:
    Northern Vermont
    Yep, cold here too. 18 below this morning, now around 0.

I think it is the autofill. I shut it off and drained enough water to bring it down to 15 PSI with the boiler at 180 degrees.

Thanks for the help.
  7. KenLockett

KenLockett Member

Loc:
    Eastern Upstate NY
    Reggie, did you buy your storage tank from Biomass USA in NH?
  8. Reggie Dunlap

Loc:
    Northern Vermont
    No, I built it out of concrete block with an EPDM pond liner. I wish it was closer to 1000 gallons, but it works great going on 5 years.