Taylor 750 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mofree

Hearth Supporter
Dec 21, 2010
missouri woods
Wow, I found you folks and boy do I have questions. Here is the background.

1. just bought a place in the woods that has Taylor 750.
2. unknown how much maint was done on it> estimated 2 years old.
3. house has 5000 SF heated in 4 zones
4. The house is pretty well sealed with 6 inchs walls and foam insulation. our zone setting are all in mid 60's except basement zone at 60.

Here are the issues
1. Appears that domestic water coil may have frozen and broke as when I engage ( via valves) it I get water soming out of the steam/overflow at the rear. Make sense ??
2. When burning and intital smoking on refill I get some smoke at metal seams of the unit around the front between the side metal panels and sheet metal that covers the conrner.
3. First cord of wood lasted two weeks , temps in the 20 to 30 range. wood was dried and cut short 16 inches.
4. Second cord ( just finishing was green and cut 24" + and left as large as I could lift . , lasted 2 weeks but temps were in single digits and teens and didn't go over 30 till last few days.
5. Flapper is clean and i have the temp set at 130 degrees

questions
1. Is this normal wood usage ?
2. should i worry about smoke at seams ?
3. should i used green or dry wood ?
4. I get lots of ash and coal built up , does thatindicatge something with the burn?
5. Can the Coil be repiar or is replacement the only option. It is sure expensive.

I know this is a lot for a newbie but there is very little info out there.

thanks

mo

Status
Not open for further replies.