Tea Pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
LOL....sounds like something my buddies would do too! That extra surface area is probably a good thing, just have to fill it up more....and not spill it. That would be me.........

Just switched out a 9" wide pot for a 13" stainless basin on top the ol' wood stove.
Tight fit with the 2 perpetual motion fans but they still work.
Power was out a total of 5 days the past week or so, wood stove and generator sure were nice to have.
Got a nasty dry cough to get rid of.
Would menthol work?

My family always uses Vicks Vapor Rub. Just rub it on your chest, throw on a few blankets and sweat it out. Thats what I do. And a shot of bourbon doesnt hurt, if youre a drinking man.

I have spent way to much time fixing, (or doing my best to fix) horribly pitted stove tops from having pots on them. I am not doing that. What I do now is route the filtered exhaust from our electric dryer into the house during the winter. It works great but don't do it if you have gas

Reactions: Ashful
I thought he asked about a cough? Im lost.

So, I found this three legged smudge pot with a brass handle at an junk shop in Mississippi. I’m gonna give it a whirl as a steamer on my small stove. It’s 1qt. $25

1985B7FF-25FB-4297-B1DC-E4F9DBCBA016.jpeg

02EAB260-FF9C-4F79-B07C-A5773A1EBFB7.jpeg

EA6CCE20-1948-4349-9486-33C0BC0A7AE3.jpeg

That dragon is sweet. Id say it doesnt matter what youre using other than how they look. If it has holes and water, and can take the heat, go for it. I never seasoned mine really, except when I first bought it. Its a wagner Ware, but not too old.....has Made in the USA on it. It was cheap. and it looks "rustic". Thats what we try to buy.....old, rustic things, they were just made better....usually.
Any pot that will hold water would probably work, but that dragon has class. 🙂

If it’s cast iron season the outside like you would a cast iron pan, just make sure that you take it off the stove and allow it to cool down before you fill it. Maybe it’s not the ideal thing to put moisture in the air but it will look cool.

If it’s cast iron season the outside like you would a cast iron pan, just make sure that you take it off the stove and allow it to cool down before you fill it. Maybe it’s not the ideal thing to put moisture in the air but it will look cool.
Yeah, most tea kettles look to big on my small VC C3 stove. I have a smaller copper kettle on there now that actually boils hard and whistles when I’m burning hard’ish. When it starts to boil, the thin copper body with the bubbles moving around sounds like creosote falling down the chimney and it freaks me out until I remove the tea kettle and make it stop. Even if I know what it is, it’s still nerve wrecking. Maybe this will just evaporate slowly.

At 700STT, that little thing rolls the steam out. The anti-motion features of the phone seemed to have not captured the steam or the bubbles in the water, but it evaporates on lower heat and can boil on the cook plate.

E71E7F40-423D-42FD-A3D8-DFD2009FC902.jpeg

8B57E1C3-F619-4966-AAFA-AD3F29425F0B.jpeg

C947357B-EDCE-4B56-BC84-C836168D7C69.jpeg

Reactions: BillBurns
Some good info here regarding efficacy of steamers; so my question might be moot. I have an old two piece cast iron oval steamer similar to ones shown here (but with bear). It has commenced corroding inside many years ago. I have scraped it, sanded it and recoated with POR-15 (Paint over Rust) chassis/frame paint but corrosion continued... even was able to remove the layer of coating of POR. So sanded/scraped again. Soaked in Vinegar. And now have question of suggestion of coating to allow water to be maintained in it without more corrosion. Any thoughts besides scrap-ing the steamer idea all together?...lol I do have a HVAC humidity input.. so its more aesthetics and local room humidity that I seek.

Try putting wax cubes into it. The kind that has scent to them. I guess plain wax would work. I have been doing in for a few years, and I have no rust/corrosion. I guess the wax stays in the pot, water evaporates. My wife cleans it in the spring, the old wax, and its ready for a new year.

Reactions: EagleATC
I like your stove by the way. Its like mine, but yours is nicer. Just a basic stove, no frills. My set up is basically the same as yours, I love it.

I like bholler's idea about the dryer vent. I did the water pot on the stoves thing, even bought two nice enameled pots to set on the old Jotuls, but they never did a very good job of keeping the humidity up high enough... or constant enough. Like trying to dig a basement with a spoon.

I've been running four large humidifiers in our house the last several years, and they do a great job, but the weekly cleaning / disinfecting routine for them is a total PITA. Last winter, I got real lazy, and backed off to disinfecting once per month and then they were even more of a PITA to actually clean. Call me fastidious.

One of the problems with the water pots and any ultrasonic humidifier, is that any minerals in your water tend to end up all over your floors and furniture. If you're finding white dust in the house, that's it. We have a water softener, but have it set such that there's still some mineral content in the water, we don't need to towel off our soap after a shower. This is where the filter/wick-type humidifiers excel, if you don't mind the cost of replacing a filter/wick every week or three.

Maybe handy for carrying to a campsite, but all you really need to condition cast iron cookware is vegetable oil. I wouldn't be putting either on my stove, though.

Reactions: moresnow